Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

TOMORROW (Monday) night the Council Regulatory Committee meets to consider the future of Wood Green.

The Council paper has the snappy title, Wood Green Investment Framework & Area Action Plan: Broad Options for Regulation 18 Consultation. Of the four options listed for Wood Green's future, the Council favours Option 4 (below):

1. High Street Rejuvenation
  2. Residential Led Town Centre
  3. Comprehensive Redevelopment
  4. Complete Transformation*

* This option promotes a complete transformation of the town centre through significant interventions aimed at unlocking the development potential of the wider town centre area through radical changes in the layout of existing urban blocks. It promotes shifting the heart of the town centre further down High Road to benefit from a new Crossrail 2 station that will be located below a new public square in the vicinity of the current library, at the heart of the new town centre. Around this square taller buildings would be located while the depth of both sides of the High Road would expand to provide larger retail floorplates with greater potential for residential above. …

For those interested, more information can be found here.

CDC
Haringey Councillor
Liberal Democrat Party
Member of the Regulatory Committee

Tags for Forum Posts: complete transformation, regulatory committee, wood green, wood green spd

Views: 2692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well the event I attended was excellent. Very open and welcoming. And I've been kept updated since I went along so hopefully the same people will work on the next phase too

Wightman Rd -> Hornsey park Rd -> Mayes Rd -> Station Rd -> Park Ave. That's the current bypass to the A109, then A406. It's already there. Full on pavement parking in Park Ave.

It would be interesting to see the numbers of vehicles that already use this route versus Green Lanes/High Road/Green Lanes (excluding buses)

I checked that out prior to the Wightman Bridge closure meeting. Taking Wightman Road as a proxy for Haringey Council's desired "Wood Green bypass", the traffic volumes are already almost in parity. See the last para of the first section (just above the first bullets) in my meeting report.

The physical, mental and social health disbenefits that this level of traffic brings to the narrow residential Wightman and rung roads are probably much more extreme that we all realise

If you have poorly installed double glazing or single glazing, the constant stream of often heavy traffic over the speedbump outside your house is almost guaranteed to mess with your mental health.

I have a friend who lived on Blackboy Lane right opposite a speed table. The endless thump of the 341 bus and heavy vehicles drove him to distraction and he eventually felt he had no option but to move even though he loved the flat. When you sat in his living room stuff on his coffee table actually rattled from the vibration.

Hugh, following your comment about traffic displacement yesterday, I passed it on as a point last night. Given the size of the more dramatic proposals, there was in my view, not enough attention given to the impact on all the surrounding areas.

Despite much critical comment by most Committee members, the four options go to Cabinet for approval in just 10 days. There was particular concern about the brevity of the six week consultation.

The four options are largely predicated on different outcomes for Crossrail 2: but the public consultation for that does not even close until (this) Friday.

There seems to be undue haste about these proposals, parts of which seem to over reach.

To be clear Clive, these are four options to start consulting on, not to actually put spades in the ground. I agree that six weeks is not anywhere near long enough to consult on a proposal of this magnitude.

Yes, although the planning department/Council prefers one of the four ('Complete Transformation'). That one claims to look out as far as 20-30 years.

One of the points I made was that, while we are in the midst of rapid change of patterns of shopping (internet, home-delivery) we need to be careful not to over-emphasise WG as a bricks & mortar shopping destination, because the retail landscape is likely to look quite different in 30 years time. The need for jobs and housing will endure.

Presumably the outcome of the meeting was that the four options will be put to Cabinet on 19th and the 6 week consultation will follow shortly thereafter.

There do seem to be a number of difficulties with this approach.

The preferred option is predicated on getting TfL to change its mind about the route of Crossrail 2.

When has a Haringey consultation ever resulted in anything but the preferred option?

The impact on surrounding areas is paid lip service only. All the pre-existing consultation seems to have taken place in Wood Green only. I don't believe I received one of the 18,000 flyers, nor have I been approached in person.

Hugh makes the point about the Wood Green by-pass.

Dropping Turnpike Lane from the plans would deny Harringay, Crouch End and Muswell Hill residents easy access to Crossrail 2 either on foot or by bus.

Meanwhile other areas also in need of regeneration/maintenance over the next 20 - 30 years are plundered for cash to fund this (I'm thinking of the ill-advised badly handled disposal of Hornsey Town Hall) as Haringey converts itself from local council into property developer/estate agents (see Sell Off Stampede).

This feels to me like a strategy being born out of a series of tactics.

Presumably the outcome of the meeting was that the four options will be put to Cabinet on 19th and the 6 week consultation will follow shortly thereafter

Yes, that's my reading and I also read, undue haste. TfL probably won't make a decision about the route for some while—possibly years—during which time the Council may be expected to lobby for their favoured WG redevelopment option (No.4).

TfL won't necessarily chose the option favoured by LBH. In that case, much time and effort will have been wasted. In any event, the Consultation on the four options looks premature to me.

The reason for the haste and brevity of the Consultation was said to be in order to be clear of the period of purdah ahead of the Mayoral and GLA elections (5 May). Of course, it could be held afterwards.

Maybe it's partly a ploy to push up the price of Wood Green land to make proposed developments more attractive or lucrative ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service