Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just seen the banner and my opinion is that its pretty damn crap.

Why?

You still see much of the shoddy paintwork on the bridge.

The banner is all wrinkled.

The overall design is so crap. 

I could go on but I'll give everyone else chance instead.

Oh well. 

Tags for Forum Posts: glsg, harringay banner, harringay bridge

Views: 1386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Germana. Very helpful. I know the effect that intemperate posts have on many people. It's a real issue for this site and others like it. To counter it, sites like this either need to be heavily moderated or voices of reason like you need to speak up, give testament to the effect that immoderate posts have. Any thoughts?
I agree the only solution is for people to try to speak up when possible as I realise that heavy moderation is not possible. If people stop engaging because they don't like the tone of the debate (and as I said I know many people who just don't come here any more apart from asking about plumber recommendations) it's not helpful either which is why I always end up trying. Then it's also typical to be accused of just being intolerant of other people not agreeing with you (see below).

" being used by some as an excuse to attack or undermine the opinion of other residents, or other residents fora."

I think that's a very unfair comment. Different people have different views and everybody has a right to express theirs, subject to common courtesy and respect for the rules of the forum. Putting an opposing view is contributing to the discussion, not " undermining the opinions of others "

Some contributors post tongue-in -cheek comments and this is generally obvious and they are taken as such. For instance, I was told to " Stop your trolling and do something useful" - obviously meant as a joke and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But some contributors seem to feel insulted by the very fact that others do not share their opinions.

John D, I think Germana's expressing a view that's probably more widely held than many of us realise. I think sometimes people who post on here regularly make the same assumptions of context as they would when they're interacting with people they know and talk to regularly on the phone or down at the pub. This means that the issue is often one of style rather than substance. Some people can come across as more assertive than they mean. What might be intended as jovial banter can be taken quite another way and be quite offputting. I think Germana's doing us all a great service in flagging up that we do need to give real thought to the style of our contributions. Otherwise we'll continue to dissuade all those people from contributing who don't want to deal with such robustness - and to me that's a real shame.

No I don't feel insulted when people don't share the same opinion. It's the tone that matters.

As for the tongue in cheek, I am not a native English speaker so perhaps I sometimes miss the irony in people's comments but I am not the only person around here with the same problem.

It's a fact that I and others feel put off quite quickly from spending time debating things here, and the people I am talking about are used to debating very complicated issues in other types of situations like big meetings or conferences - but generally feel that online debating has strong limitations because it can often be dominated by a few people who like to "spice" things up (or wind people up according to how you look at it).

HoL is certainly better than other online fora because a percentage of people know each other already but it still shares similar limitations in the way it can be dominated by a few voices, often not too friendly. Now this goes a bit beyond the point here but as we are talking about HoL being taken more seriously as a place to gauge the opinion of residents I think it does matter how debates are conducted and whether people feel they can take part without others having a go at them. 

I don't think for a minute that Germana was suggesting that if someone has a different view from her that they are attacking her. I totally agree with the points she has made about certain individuals on here who repeatedly try and undermine others with put- downs or scornful remarks when they have different opinions. They are regular offenders and I could name them but I won't. Like Germana I have also considered not bothering to use HoL as a result of some of their comments but have ended up coming back as I don't see why they should always have the last word. It's true Hugh that they may think the come across as witty and playful but if you don't know them personally, when you read their remarks, they are often just plain patronising and offensive. It's sad that a handful of people are managing to drive away others from HoL. I think especially for people not used to posting on here it's particularly off-putting when you are shouted down. I think most people don't mind having their view challenged but it can be done in a respectful way without being made to feel like your view doesn't cout because you're not in their`club'

Thanks KP. Comments appreciated.

I'm minded to move this useful collection of comments to a thread of their own.

I can't help but think that KP (presumably not their real name) is talking solely about me. Is that right KP or am I being too sensitive?

Thank you, Germana, for your thoughtful contribution with which I entirely agree. In addition, I would make a plug for the new neighbourhood committee meetings which I hope will be well attended.

I have now made the following member's enquiry of Council officers:

"Could you please let me know the rates of income (net of payments to contractors or Network Rail) which are receivable by the Council for the display of advertising banners over the railway bridge at Harringay Green Lanes Station?

Could you also please let me know whether that income is being applied for the benefit of the local area, and if so, how and by whom it is being so applied?"
David Schmitz
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay Ward

Thank you David,

And may I commend you for beimng the only councillor to have responded to this post!

David I still find it very hard to believe that as a resident of Harringay you feel the bridge looks better now than it did before. Do you really honestly think the banners brighten up the place? Do you feel the banners advertising local business will instill and element of civic pride to the majority of residents of Harringey.

The income from advertising is not the issue. It probably covers cost of said banner. The issue is the banner looks rubbish and like it's a half hearted attempt. Too much of this in Haringey I'm afraid. What happened to pride of place? Where's the imagination/effort from this council?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service