Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Dear residents,
Please be aware that the grass from your lawn should not be dumped in to the very good looking New River. Because as soon it reaches the Finsbury park area it will only does not move and becomes a perfect habitat for Mosquitos...
So my plead is recycle it making a compote for your own garden.
I hope we can all cooperate to keep the New River clean for his 300th year birthday.
Thank you

Views: 367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

400th Anniversary! 1613 opened. FYI http://newriver.org.uk/

My Apologies...

Quatrocento Anni...

This is illegal. Only corporations are allowed to dump stuff in rivers.

Does anyone have a telephone number to contact regarding this type of matters

Funny you refer to the river as masculine. Found this interesting article.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/travel/article/How-rivers-get-a-ge...

Not intentionally but i think I did...

Good luck with your business.

Marco

Which business?

I just find language interesting that's all. I like the little quirks like this. I think I always think of rivers as female but I'm not sure why, then I'm reminded of 'Father Thames'

When the contractor who cuts the grass along the New River banks does his stuff, some of the clippings end up in the water.  In the section between Hamden Road and Wightman Road, the clippings float along with the current and are trapped by the gratings at the entrance to the Wightman Road tunnel.  All such flotsam (along with sundry fast food wrappers and empty drinks cans) is fished out by Thames Water staff who visit the gratings every day with a machine.  The accumulated pile of vegetation etc is carted away periodically - preferably before it starts to stink.

I don't know what happens to flotsam from Seymour Road southwards but I suppose there must be other such trapping points downstream from there.

In order to mark this event, I would like so see the new river path opened up along the ladder. It would provide a more scenic alternative to the passage when traversing the streets, and I think it could be a fantastic local amenity.

Does anyone agree? I can see objections possibly coming due to the impact on the wildlife, but it still seems to thrive on the other open sections, and only one bank would be accessible.

I agree.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service