Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The independent reported yesterday how gentrification is impacting on some of the poorest people in Haringey and other areas.

The article says, "People living in the bottom ten per cent in terms of relative deprivation are being pushed out of their homes and communities, with a dramatic change in the demographics of London within the past decade.

"Based on data released by the Department of Communities and Local Government last month, they show how many inner city boroughs have seen a marked decrease in the number of areas classed as the least deprived in the past decade". 

In addition to Haringey, the list includes Barking and Dagenham, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Lambeth, Camden, Greenwich, Islington, and Newham.

Link

Independent article

Views: 1422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bloomberg did this to New York during his 11 years as mayor, allowing the building of condos, as they call them, for the rich pushing out everyone else. New Yorkers got so fed up they voted him out  purely on this issue. Now the complaints are that everywhere in Manhattan revolves around households with dogs rather than households with kids! With saloons for dogs etc.

Boris & Bloomberg are good friends. Boris is enthusiastically following Bloomberg with building apartments for the rich. He seems to be surpassing Bloomberg. Yes London has been known for it's mix of people living cheek by jowl but that looks like changing which is not good and as you point out makes no business sense either.

VOTE KHAN in 2016 for MAYOR! 

Willl Khan be any different really? The British rely on the housing market with steep price rises and arrival of immigrants to drive the economy.
The country doesn't like regulation and is going to vote to leave the EU only to find out that problems are really home bred!

That's going right down now thanks to the stamp duty changes.

Wouldn't it be great if we could look at those maps and say "wow, isn't it great that living standards in inner London have improved so much that there are fewer areas classed as "deprived".  

Unfortunately we know that isn't the case (and as the measure is relative deprivation I assume we are just exporting the deprivation elsewhere). 

I've only just been able to afford a flat (well, a year ago) after years of living in overcrowded shared accommodation - so I'm just out of deprivation myself.  Yet now "people like me" are pushing out "people like them" - when wouldn't it be great if we ALL have enough for a good standard of living.  I feel like young professionals like myself who have struggled through a global recession near the start of our careers and have managed to hang in there somehow are being pitted against long-standing residents of an area, when the real culprit is a failure of central government policy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service