Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

IF YOU DO NOT WANT
STROUD GREEN TO BE IN TOTTENHAM
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT NOW!!!!

The next general election seems a long way away, but when the time comes, many people are in for a big surprise. If you live in Stroud Green, you may find you are no longer part of Hornsey and Wood Green constituency, but Instead are part of Tottenham.

So why are we talking about it right now?

Because now you can still do something about it, by responding to the Boundary Commission consultation, in 3 simple steps,  by the 5th of December 2011 (Links at the bottom)

But before you do, take a quick look at what is happening and what rules the Boundary Commission will follow when considering representations from the public.

Watch a short video explaining it 

‘STROUD GREEN - WHERE WILL IT BE HORNSEY OR TOTTENHAM?’

https://www.youtube.com/GreenN8TV where we talked to Lynne Featherstone, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green and Stroud Green Councillors Katherine Reece and Richard Wilson and discuss what would be the implications of such a change for local residents. We also asked people living in Stroud Green ward how they feel about the proposed change.

We also asked David Lammy MP for Tottenham, for his views and comments, but sadly have not heard back from him to this day. Is this a sign of things to come if the unthinkable happen?

For more info on how to respond to the consultation go to http://www.greenn8.org

Anyone interested in this topic

SGRA has organised a public meeting

Harringay Stroud Green Library

7:00 this evening.

you are all invited!

They have been trying hard with not a lot of success to find someone from the labour group to come and participate in the debate... The official line the labour group is putting out, is that this is not a political issue...

Tags for Forum Posts: boundary commission, boundary review, parliamentary constituency boundary rewview

Views: 2057

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So Alan can you confirm or deny the rumours? 

Don't you like my new mountain, Ofer? I am very disappointed.

Okay. With enormous reluctance and taking a very deep breath, I have to agree with Mr Hinchcliffe. The Boundary Commission seems to have had a reasonable go at the tasks it was given: reducing the numbers and equalising constituencies. Of course, people will suggest other options and tweaks. The Commission may well agree with alternative proposals.

Alan, of course I love your mountain! goes without saying...

The snow has a tinge of pink, is that a subtle reference to the colour of someone's glasses?

Ofer, you still haven't answered the "culture" question.  Does it mean "our sort of people"?  "House prices"?  or "Crouch End versus Wightman Road restaurants"? 

As you may have noticed I personally do not appear on the video. Different people may present different views and you might want to ask them what they meant.

On a personal note and for the record - since I was not born here, I did not have the privilege of being conditioned with the dichotomy of the british class system and I must say, it still jars whenever I encounter those who view the world through those lenses.

When I visited Crouch End for the first time well over 20 years ago now I knew immediately it is where I wanted to live. Back then it was not posh or upmarket at all. It was Arti and Alternative and very very multi cultural, which was what I liked about it.

Over time things changed and many of the people who made it what it was, had to move out of here because they were tragically PRICED OUT! Many are now living on the ladder.

It is my experience that at their core people are the same where ever they live. They want to have dignity they want their needs met, to be cared for by their family and friends and be loved. Different people may have different strategies on how they go about getting what they need. But strip down the bullshit and you'll find we are all the same!

My 2 penny worth...

Thanks, Ofer. That's worth at least thruppence.

What about our Cafe Moka - that's very "West Haringey" in style, if not N1...

Anyone interested in this topic

SGRA has organised a public meeting

Harringay Stroud Green Library

7:00 this evening.

you are all invited!

They have been trying hard with not a lot of success to find someone from the labour group to come and participate in the debate... The official line the labour group is putting out, is that this is not a political issue...

I attended an interesting meeting tonight (upstairs) at the Stroud Green and Harringay public library, about the proposed Boundary changes. It was hosted by the Stroud Green Residents' Association.

The GN8 video was shown and then there was a general discussion. Comments had been requested from political parties. One of the interesting things I learnt was that none of the main three political parties support the proposed switch of Stroud Green ward to Tottenham (apparently the Green Party hadn't responded). No one at the meeting supported the change either.

Our library has never seen such activity: an entirely separate meeting was held in the ground floor! Tomorrow (Friday) is the last day of librarian Rebecca Gediking. Rebecca has been a big part of the revival and indeed, vibrancy, of our local library.

Stroud Green boundary proposals would divide community,
says Hornsey and Wood Green MP Lynne Featherstone

Article in Haringey Independent

We have a similar problem here in the far east. What on earth were the Boundary Commissioners thinking when they went out in the small hours in their high-viz jackets to mark a white line in the centre of Tottenham High Road?  Did they assume that we Tottenham Haleites viewed the Bruce Groveniks as quarrelling people in a far away country of which we know next to nothing?

This could not be further from the truth. The Commission's cruel brushes and thoughtless rollers have painted the community apart; setting brother against sister, betting shop against betting shop. Are we not one people united by historic ties of culture, bus routes, and pizza delivery?

(Honorary consular office, independent Republic of Tottenham Hale)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service