Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wandered down green lanes yesterday at around 8:30 and noticed several people sleeping rough! Including a man and a women! Both sides of the lanes.

Has this problem got out of control? Is there anything the council can do?

Views: 4150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heroin is not medication. Do you think alcohol is medication ?

Any drug can be a medication if you are using it to try to repair the body and you are using it in careful quantaties. People who are very very serious alcoholics must have alcohol when recovering. It is part of their recovery.

Whilst heroin is one of the key painkillers given to women giving birth and most certainly is a form of medication, I had to have when my molars had to be taken out as a 19 year old. The medical profession call it diamorphine rather than using the street slang.

The flip side is that any drug can be a poison if you take too much of it.

Alcohol and heroin do not " repair the body " They are simply mood-altering chemicals.

If people are sub-letting their homes to pay for heroin ( or alcohol, or cigarettes) they are unlikely to be taking it under medical supervision.

Why then are these two drugs both hugely important to medical science ?

They maybe sub letting their home / room because they are not allowed to take heroin under medical supervision. If they were they probably wouldn't be sleeping on the streets ( or using the more anti social method, committing crime).
Sub-letting their homes for any purpose is fraud.

I'm not sure it's "out of control" but recently, and for the first time, I've noticed a few tents in among the bushes on the Parkland Walk, and what appears to be a self made large shelter on the railway embankment near the recycling centre.

It seems out of control too me.  Never seen this problem in any other area of London that I have lived in.

I guess, I am just going to have to get used to it.

But isn't that a sad state of affairs when people living on the street is no longer a shocking sight? 

tents in Finsbury Park too
Don't demonise the homeless!
Is there anything the council can do?
Yes.
Abandon the stupid idea of demolishing council houses and build more.

It's been quite a while now since Barclays bank area on Green Lanes has been a beggars/homeless pitch. It's shared by several people who seem to take it in turns, alternating who is sleeping and begging there. I live right near there and have been observing the comings and goings. I wonder where they go where they are not there. There is the 'couple' plus another woman and a guy, at least, who use that space and also the pitch under the railway bridge. I wouldn't demonise them as individuals but something is clearly wrong when we have to just accept this as a way of life, drug and drinking habits, on the streets etc. I suppose they used to take place inside peoples homes, when they had one. 

Yes, I have seen the 1 at barclays and the other under the bridge.  But on Saturday I saw people in doorways on both sides of the green lanes.  I then also saw the couple, just on the pavement, where people had to walk around them.

Also during the day, there are several people begging on green lanes.  I only moved to Harringay in Feb last year, and none of this was evident when researching the area, and has come up over the last 18 months or so.

I just do not want to accept this!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service