Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello to Haringay community members.... I hope everyone had a good week? 

I am looking to interact with some comrades of the community in the hope of embarking on a social project, which will bring more fantastic work to the area. I have lived in Turnpike Lane for four years and after what was a short burst of pieces by the station but it would be great to expand this. I have for the past few years been interacting with artists helping to organise wall space in East London, while I worked for an art gallery. I would love to try and organise some spaces here in Haringay and feel this would be a good start in reaching out to the community.

I have watched street art spread from East London and find large new areas in places like Penge, Camden and Dulwich. In these projects the communities have been heavily involved with helping to supply wall spaces or by supplying unwanted house paint.  If anyone knows of any walls that are in need of some TLC or if anyone would like to help out then please let me know. I regularly am asked by great artists for spaces and it would be great if I could organise some paintings in the area I live.

Thanks,

Ryan 

Views: 2934

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris, 
"... in Valencia, ... the work is truly art, most are done by professional illustrators, rather than by jar heads who just tag. If what is being proposed is art not tagging ..."

Do you really not acknowledge just a teensy weensy little list of possible longer term problemettes?

Hello Chris, 

This sounds like an interesting prospect, I am going to email you and ask some questions. 

Thanks,

Ryan Holmes

Hi Ryan, here is a thread from the last time someone tryed to impose some form of creativity.

http://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/art-is-trash-on-green-l...

Personally I love it.

Hi......Yes please, more street art. It cheers up dismal weather!

Hi Ryan. You want to discuss with Chestnuts Community Centre. The north wall needs a clean up. Could tie in with an event planned by Friends of Chestnuts and START on the 15th July.

I live overlooking the park and we have dismal alleyway as the access from Cornwall Rd. I doubt our building owner L&Q could be bothered to respond to any questions about decorating our wall. You could attached some positive aft work to the fence maybe - an outdoor gallery.

I am all for street art of the like found in the Laneways of Melbourne. There are some great artist in London - Zabou, Frankie Strand...etc.

Hello Robert, 

Thanks for the support and great you mention Zabou as she is someone I have helped and worked with a lot over the past few years! 

In terms of Chestnut community park I have emailed them and contacted them through their website in the hope of hearing from them However, I might just go tomorrow as I have some time.

Thanks Ryan
I try to make a positive response to a polite question to this site. I am reminded now why I rarely comment on this site.

I have attached a photo of the back wall.

Contact The Friends of Chestnuts Park and START aswell. You may also want to discuss with Haringey Arts who have studios nearby http://haringeyarts.co.uk
Attachments:

Never been to Melbourne, but it seems to be one of the cities where graffiti/street art is a highly contentious issue. Maybe their approach may be somewhat similar to Vancouver's. (I read online several years ago about that city's attempts to find some sort of workable agreement with street artists and not simply have zero tolerance and criminalise the practice.)

To be fair to Ryan Holmes who began the thread - he does actually state a clear commitment to respecting property rights and seeking permissions. But not perhaps to the extent of considering that perhaps everyone who lives and works in a neighbourhood might also like a say in what goes up.

About Melbourne, in just a few minutes I found links about the cost of removing paint and "buffing" tagging off the legal graffiti sites. Here's a six-year old site with a photo and some comments about Hossier Lane. (or should it be Hosier?)
Is it legal? Maybe; maybe not. One person seemed to think that it's up to someone named Andi to give permission.

I find it rather strange that most contributors to this thead seem to see the issue as non-contentious and to endorse street art as a pure benefit which everyone would automatically like and enjoy. Maybe they live in the same street and are keen to give permission for painting on their own homes. Would it look like Hossier/Hosier Lane?

I saw a couple of young men looking speculatively at a wall opposite my flat about 3.30 pm and I thought  " Oh God, I hope it's not Ryan ".

Don't worry John D.  

All - and wall - will be well. Whatever is painted/tagged/sprayed you'll absolutely love it. And if you don't ? Why then, some art lovers will be round to remove the wall and auction it in Miami. But in any case, residents living along dull, plain vanilla, Wightman Road will shortly be living along Rainbowfolk boulevard.

But seriously, nothing can possibly go wrong. To prove this, a fashionable new type of SWOT analysis has been developed. It wholly dispenses with any need to consider Ws (Weaknesses) or Ts (threats). Hence a SO-SO analysis.
Hadn't you noticed how it's now compulsory to begin ever other sentence with the word 'SO'?

Starting a sentence with "So" is infinitely less irritating than starting it with "Like" or ending a question with the word "Yes"

How about as a compromise, some temporary street art? 
Apparently you can always tell the difference between genuine art and fake commercial packaging pretending to be art. It's a real estate agent's art-signboard though unlawfully fastened to the streetname sign. But hey, that's trangressive and creates an artistic frisson.

Sadly not a real old-fashioned Brillo box. Even if it's the same one you can buy at any art auction super-rich-market. Cause they've got the style and cash it takes.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service