Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello to Haringay community members.... I hope everyone had a good week? 

I am looking to interact with some comrades of the community in the hope of embarking on a social project, which will bring more fantastic work to the area. I have lived in Turnpike Lane for four years and after what was a short burst of pieces by the station but it would be great to expand this. I have for the past few years been interacting with artists helping to organise wall space in East London, while I worked for an art gallery. I would love to try and organise some spaces here in Haringay and feel this would be a good start in reaching out to the community.

I have watched street art spread from East London and find large new areas in places like Penge, Camden and Dulwich. In these projects the communities have been heavily involved with helping to supply wall spaces or by supplying unwanted house paint.  If anyone knows of any walls that are in need of some TLC or if anyone would like to help out then please let me know. I regularly am asked by great artists for spaces and it would be great if I could organise some paintings in the area I live.

Thanks,

Ryan 

Views: 2935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure why you've linked to pictures of rubbish....

Have a cheeky Mcdonalds on the way back did we Alan. 

I believe Alan is making a rather witty statement about the curation of spaces and the subjectivity of art. 

I went to NY last month and they have used st artwork extensively to improve areas, it works. 

That is just an eyesore. But I guess, if you like it.....

thankfully art is routed by interpretation, so yes i really did. It was just refreshing to see how the old and tired can be turned into something bright and optimistic. Only and example of course. 

Some of it is pretty impressive

Kobra is amazing!

Yeah I funnily enough have interned in New York and my girlfriend is a native of the city so I try to go as often as possible. I do not know whether you have heard of this company called Artbridge, where they take building sites around the city and transform them into spaces where people can exhibit their work. I actually wrote a magazine article when I was there interning and have linked it here

That's great really wish I had seen this when I was there, thanks great artical.

Ben, you really need to take this art stuff more seriously. Old-fashioned paint on canvas, walls, ceilings, fences and bridges just won't do any more.
The new guru is Richard Wentworth. Prof. Wentworth is a master of the subtle, nuanced and assisted found art. An example is the piece "Havana".  And this one called "place".

Obviously you can easily test which of his exquisite exciting pieces are genuine as they will be in galleries.

In Tottenham he has inspired not only Bagsy but Bedsy, Woodsy, Dumpsy and many more talented creatives. As you'll immediately appreciate, the unique and enormous advantage of this style of art-making is that that the work is self-removing. After a few weeks being fully enjoyed by the public, it will disappear overnight into the bank vaults of the super-rich. But without needing anyone to chip or cut-away sections of wall.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service