Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In case you don't know - Betfred have an application in for a yet ANOTHER gambling shop in Tottenham!

777-779 High Road N17 8AH

consultation close on 20th Dec

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/business/licensing_regulations/lic...

Please comment and maybe help to stop this scourge.

Thanks.

Views: 1128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is interesting to read the comments on this subject. I have been visiting Tottenham on and off for 35 years. As I recall this particular shop which is directly opposite the proposed spurs ground was a betting shop for at least the last 20 or so years so I'm not sure why a license is even needed. Surely they will just reopen.

Being a Spurs fan I regularly use the betting shops in the high road and if I'm running late the ones in the spurs ground. I wouldn't say i'm a regular player, but I do enjoy meeting up with friends in the betting shop before the game. A few years ago we used to meet in the pub, but in recent years I've taken on long distance sports running so don't really enjoy the pub scene.Also the pubs around the ground are probably the worst in London!

I'm also a bit surprised to read the comments on here regarding the dreggs of society people who supposedly frequent betting shops, that certainly is not the case from my experience.We always have a laugh over some of the three legged dobbins we've backed!

What no one wants to see is empty shops being forced to remain empty because small traders cannot afford the high rates charged by councils. So if a shop is to be used by a national company, be that a betting shop, another fast food outlet or pub then so be it.... after all thats the only way a council will receive any rates/money and subsequently improve the area.  

A very useful alternative perspective, Richard. Though it didn't quite overcome my disgust at this news that staff at Betfred will in future have their wages linked to the profits of the Fixed Odds Betting Terminals (FOBTs).

By the way, Business Rates are not set by local councils. Nor do councils directly benefit from the amounts collected.  Nor am I sure how having a large number of betting shops and fast food outlets improves Tottenham for the people living here. However, convenient for the Spurs fans.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Alan, I didn't realise councils didnt receive the money collected from ratepayers.. you learn something everyday. But how do councillors and council workers get paid and the upkeep of council offices kept maintained if its not from moneys received from the ratepayer, business or resident, either nationally or locally?

I'm not sure why anyone would be disgusted at staff being legally employed and paid. Surely if local people are being employed thats a good thing. I work for a national Oil Company and am paid by the profits my employer makes from the sale of fuel. My friend works as a cashier in the bank, paid from profits made by the bank neither of these industries are favoured by the general public but nevertheless we are in employment, pay taxes and spend some of our money in and around Tottenham.

It is not only during match days I visit the area, I often drive along the High road during the week. If premises are closed and remain closed there will be little point in stopping, whether that is to have a flutter or a chat on the latest odds with the manager of the betting shop. Personally I like betfred and the odds they offer so its a plus for me.  

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service