Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking up from Green Lanes, flashing lights and police on Pemberton Road. The police officer said it was a stabbing and they were looking for a knife.

He also had a very resigned look and said it was happening every day all over London but the powers that be don't seem to care.

Views: 6437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with those sentiments.

Thanks to all of you who took up Kat's OP less obliquely than I did. It's not Kat's headline, or the stabbing, or whether kitchen knives should have their points removed (after all our friends in Isis/Isil don't really worry whether their knives are pointy or not). As Michael said he's been here since 1980 and doesn't see any great deterioration. I've been here since the 1970s and intend to be around Wightman/Pemberton/Mattison till the 2050s at least. It's Kat's me-me meme of not feeling safe despite the gentrification that gets my goat. It's the effing gentrification, not the occasional stabbing, that seems likely to ruin Harringay for most normal Harringayites, IMVHO.  But I suppose we could all move eastwards and set about gentrifying Aleppo South.

Well that's your opinion, I have mine. No, I don't feel safe here after being followed in the Passage on numerous occasions and every time I walk down Green Lanes I get leery men make comments. 

There are of lot of crime issues around here, hence all the posts on this particular subforum and the meeting at North Harringay Primary School on Friday to discuss. 

The crime issues, as have been pointed out, have remained the same for some time. What is changing is the demographic of the residents. OAE referred to it as gentrification. You are what has changed, not the crime levels.

Gentrification or not, are you complacent about the levels of crime in Harringay, including stabbings and shootings ?

I'm more worried about the traffic (10,000 deaths a year caused by pollution), for a start.

In Harringay ? I doubt it.

Please answer the question - are you complacent ... ?

I'm not complacent, just accepting.

That's a very fine distinction

I thought long and hard about joining this conversation because of the trolling that happens on this site with depressing regularity. HoL is such a wonderful resource for residents, but it really does feel like every time someone puts their head above the parapet they get shot down with snarky comments that go unchecked. Anyhow, at the risk of being trolled myself, I clicked on this thread because I want to know what's going on within my neighbourhood. I don't think Kat was being alarmist. I'm actually more concerned about the makeshift knife John says was found in Fairland Park, which my daughter plays in most days. And yes, that does make me question living around here.

*ducks back under the parapet*

I suppose it comes down to what you compare your experiences to. Mine are in comparison to what the area was like when I first moved here over 30 years ago. For others the experience will be different. Neither is wrong. Having said all that, crime is crime and it is unacceptable whatever the level or incidence may be.

It's OK, the Earl of Seven Sisters is looking after us.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service