Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Last night two people were stabbed outside Turnpike Lane station in the early hours of the morning.

https://t.co/1S6Owic9aX

Anyone with any information please contact the police.

If you read Twitter it also says a cannabis factory was burnt down in the area as well. Sigh.

Views: 2255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes FPR, the folk who grow cannabis in houses are really folk heroes. They bypass the electric meters, endangering their neighbours. They use trafficked children to tend to the plants.

And there is plenty of criminal activity associated with legal drugs. Taking your examples of nicotine and alcohol, there is significant criminal activity through tax evasion through smuggling and counterfeiting. Many legal drugs are both counterfeited and repackaged when date expired. If cannabis was legalised tomorrow there would still be plenty of criminal activity associated with it.

The reality is cannabis has pretty much been decriminalised as far as Law Enforcement priorities are concerned.

If murder were decriminalised tomorrow there would be many many fewer illegal killings.

Do you see where this is going ?

I've suggested before that if you want the law to be changed the way to do it is to lobby your MP but you seem curiously reluctant to do that.

There should be another police / residents' meeting this year. Perhaps you would consider attending to make your views known ?

I think part of the problem is that it's very difficult to get an adult debate going on this issue. You might remember that last year, during the debate on the banning of psychoactive substances, one MP, Crispin Blunt, admitted in the House that he used amyl nitrate (poppers). At that time it was legal (and has remained so) so he wasn't opening himself to legal action but it was still splashed all over the papers. Can you imagine an MP standing up in the House admitting current cannabis use and talking about their personal experiences? Anyone who has worked in the Houses of Parliament (one of my friends was a researcher there for many years) knows that there is drug use amongst MPs but I very much doubt one of them is going to say anything more than they used it once when they were a student but they didn't inhale and didn't like it very much.
For me it comes down to weighing up the harm of use, if legal, against the harm of illegality. And yes, I have written to my MP about drugs policy on a number of occasions.
Hmm. Careful with the stereotypes. Michael (one of the ignorant older generation)

The ignorant older generation cannot change the law. Only MPs can.

Will we see you at the next police / residents' meeting ?

It would be interesting to see the crime figures for those states and cities in the US pre and post decriminalisation. Don't know if that kind of data exists though.
The problem is that Turnpike Lane became known as a place to buy drugs - so people travel there without knowing a dealer. This constant demand means people want to provide supply. This supply is becoming competitive. What is needed is for people turning up in the expectation that drugs are there to find non for a bit. When they turn up less supply falls and it doesn't end up being the gold mine it was in the past.

Frankly it's lapse policing that has resulted in the problems we have

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service