Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There will be a special planning committee on 16th December to make a decision about the Spurs stadium. It looks likely there will be no affordable housing on the site and that there will be no S106 money/CIL from the application for work in the local community.

A pretty big missed opportunity in my opinion. Doesn't seem right that a football club that can afford to pay its players exorbitant salaries can' t afford to put something back into the local community.

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/planning/major-projects-and-regeneration/tottenham-hotspur-football-club-stadium-development#committee

Views: 707

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a small point Alan. I think a fair number of people DO want to live in places that are lively all year round. That why there has been a, whatever the opposite of exodus is, back into central London. It's one of the reasons I like living on The Ladder/Green Lanes and would shrivel up in the suburbs.

There's lively and there's lively, Michael. We're talking about very large crowds - sometimes containing potentially antagonistic groups - arriving and departing in a short space of time. Then multiply that pressure with the aim of having other public events 365 days a year. Perhaps think about the O2 Arena which which I think has a maximum capacity of about a third of what Spurs propose.

Yes there is a return to central London but - as I'm neither a planner nor an urbanist - my guess would be that numbers, scale, intensity, - as a planner yourself you can tell me what the correct technical terms may be - affect the character and sheer enjoyment of city streets. At what point does increasing the traffic including coaches, the footfall, plus crowded buses and trains, draconian 7 day parking restrictions; turn city liveliness and conviviality into unpleasant overcrowding which many people will wish to avoid?
Since Spurs publicised their 365 days a year proposal perhaps Haringey planners have advised Haringey Councillors - and published their advice so residents can also read it - about the potential downside of this. I can't remember them doing so when I was a councillor.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service