Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just heard on the World Service an account of global attitudes to expectoration (esp. China and India) followed by a note that our neighbouring Borough of Enfield has passed a bylaw against this habit. I notice this practice from time to time on Green Lanes: is it time that this was discouraged?

Tags for Forum Posts: Enfield, bye-law, spitting, £500

Views: 304

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's still a by-law in Islington which bans spitting on the floor or wall of "any public carriage, or of any public hall, public waiting room, or place of public entertainment". Fine of 40 shillings for breaking it (or you can spot the loophole and spit on the ceiling...).

(The reason for odd by-laws such as this is it that repealing them often used to be rather difficult, so councils preferred to leave oddities in place and unused rather than repealing them. One of the few/many [delete according to political taste] good things Eric Pickles has done is change the law to make repealing them much easier, though I don't think many councils have started making use of that to tidy up their backlog of antiquated rules.)

Surely better Enfield and anywhere else really concentrated on proper crimes. Spitting is unpleasant but I can cope with that. I lived in China for several years and in terms of spitting on the streets, we are just beginners… 

I won't disagree about spit carries germs. Nor I do like it. Just trying to offer a cultural comparision that's all. For some cultures, carrying around handkerchiefs and tissues full of gunk is disgusting and germ spreading. 

A bigger issue for me on the streets is pollution which causes so many illnesses and kills folks. 

Yep good plan. At least it's sending a message out that spitting is not encouraged if nothing else. I'd be all in favour!

But who is going to monitor it and fine people? We have fines for talking on mobiles while driving (highly dangerous) but I see people doing it all the time because odds are against them getting caught. We have fines against dropping litter but it happens all the time including dropping cigarette butts and people are not afeared by the laws cus again hardly anyone is stopped.

These existing by-laws are barely enforced but perhaps Enfield can afford to employ a spit brigade to patrol the streets? Good luck to them. 

I agree these things are difficult to enforce but I don't think they should be tolerated. Yes people do still drive and talk on their mobiles etc but at least everyone knows it is wrong and viewed as unacceptable. I think spitting should be seen in the same way. It helps to have the law in your corner

Great plan, won't be enforced, so a little pointless, but might get the gobblers to think again before emptying their mouths in public?

I wish more people would think before they open their mouths in public Annette! Such as politicians… 

There is that.. :D

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service