Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The main funder was of course the Haringey taxpayer who paid the £22,072.24 total cost of the Council participating in the MIPIM gathering in Cannes.

The spend breaks down as:

Cost of exhibiting at MIPIM - £18,827.24
Lyn Garner and Cllr Strickland accommodation costs - £1,731
Lyn Garner and Cllr Strickland travel costs - £1,514

Some of the expenditure was covered by sponsorship of £13,000 by the following companies:

Granger - £3,500
Spurs - £3,500
Trowers and Hamlyn LLP - £2,000
Lea Valley Estates - £2,000
Hermes - £2,000

Therefore the Council had to spend £9,072.24 in excess of sponsorship income.

The council report proposing going to Cannes claimed:

'Cots are expected to be not more than £20,000.'

Adding:

'The Council will recoup all of its costs for MIPIM through sponsorship from partners.'

Commenting on the proposal, the Chief Finance Officer said:

'The risk of failure to secure sponsorship is low, however, if this is the case then any shortfall will need to be met from wider Departmental budgets.'

And that is what happened. Money has been taken from other budgets to pay for Lyn Garner and Cllr Strickland to go to Cannes to sell Tottenham.

Tags for Forum Posts: Cannes, Strickland, regeneration

Views: 706

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know you won't mind if I give the link to your blog Rory, And to your professional webpage at HTA.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us more.  Like where you live?  if you have a house with a garden in Haringey?  Or elsewhere? Or live in a block.  Also about your knowledge of Tottenham and its people.

And whether or not you are professionally involved with any of the firms which may be bidding for projects?

To be crystal clear I'm not objecting to you giving your views, wherever you live and whoever you work for.

On the contrary, as a Tottenham resident and one of the local councillors I'm delighted when architects, planners, and other professionals are willing to engage in genuine and open dialogue with local residents about these plans and the assumptions on which they are based.

So far the diametrically exact opposite has been the case.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

To be fair, everything he said is correct really. However it also confirms that the publicly owned land that the council are custodians for is to be floggedsold. Between 2014 and 2018. How do you get information like that out to people who are about to vote?

To be fair, I'm not challenging what Rory posted. Nor the basis of his professional expertise which I would very much value should he wish to contribute to discussions on HoL.

But as the saying goes, "experts should be on tap but not on top".  As Rory will know, a key challenge for architects, planners, urbanists and allied trades is engaging in a dialogue with the client. Unless of course they are the sort of starchitect who says: "Leave it entirely to me. I will design and build it. You will like it".

I don't have any of these skills. I just live here. But in our homes and neighbourhoods and borough we are the clients. The professionals are  supposed to work for us. It would be even better if they worked with us and started by listening and learning something. It's difficult but not impossible.

John I can lend you a book called "How to be a Happy Architect" by Irena Bauman a Leeds architect. Or as I first learned from a HoL member and then explored, I suggest you take a look at stuff by Jan Gehl the Danish architect.

As I've advised councillor Alan Strickland the "cabinet member" for Regeneration in Haringey, if he wants to work for Arup, Spurs or Lee Valley Estates he is free to apply for a job there. But don't stand for election and pretend to be working for us.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service