Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I intend to vote, but I'm not sure I'm clear about my choice. What about you?

The Electoral Commission has produced a short(?) video to explain the difference between the two voting systems.

But I'm not sure how much that helps.........

So how what are the arguments? Campaigners in the referendum will, of course, be only too happy to explain why they think you should vote 'yes' (to use the 'alternative vote' system) or 'no' (to continue using the 'first past the post' system).

You can find out information about these campaign groups at:

Still no good? Try the quiz at who should you vote for or the Electoral Commission's booklet (attached below).

If none of that works, aaaw the hell with it, go flip a coin at random.org.

Views: 415

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just wanted to tell you Tim that you are wrong. I am surprised at your choice. Especially that you seem to give a reason that is based on the fact that it is too complicated. (That is how I understand your "keep it simple".)

Key stage 1 of the education system has outcomes where children aged 5 demonstrate they can make choices and rank things in terms of preference. My 5 yr old certainly can.

As for the counting being too complicated as Jonathan Harri said in April  If you get the X factor then you'll get AV. Personally I have never watched X factor but as a politician I am sure you have your finger on the pulse.

I like Mr Growbags pointer to the impartial summary Doc link below: As Mr Growbag says on page two there is an overall summary. Here are two of the statements on that page for people who don't download it:

"AV would uphold the principle of “one person, one vote”. Every voter would still be treated equally; each vote would count only once in deciding who is elected in each constituency."

and

"AV would not cost much to implement."

I choose those two only because they cover the main points of the leaflet the No to AV campaign were kind enough to send me. (As a coincidence they also cover two of the points Mr Cameron argued in his woeful interview on the R4 Today prog on 03 May).

If you want to see who is funding the campaigns then the Guardian has listed the major donors here. Analysis here.

63% of Yes 2 AV funding comes from two charities the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust and the Electoral Reform Society.

In contrast as Polly Curtis writes:

Among around 50 donors to the NOtoAV campaign are several high-profile City figures, including hedge fund financiers, bankers and businessmen

If you read on you see as well there are Russian Financiers. Why would they be funding such a campaign?

So, one side appears to be funded mainly by NGOs with open and public aims, and the other - the one you support - is,  well, not. I wonder why there is such a difference?

AV is not complicated and I obviously am voting YES. Like John says. thanks Tim.

Thanks to Mr Growbag for adding a link to his event listing of to a pdf of a briefing Reading University which he describes as "quick, impartial summary of what a change would and would not do (independent from either campaign)".

... and thanks for flagging it up, Hugh.  The "quick" bit of the report is the rather good Executive Summary on page 2, but for people with more time/interest there is also some commentary on how AV has worked in practice down in Oz...
Whichever way you vote today, you' ve got to love this capture:
Great Polling Station Sign #Yes2AV #No2AV on Twitpic

sensible ? that's a laugh..

if it ain't broke... It clearly is broke!! If you can get a Labour government with an enormous majority with only 35% of the vote . Then there certainly is something wrong with the system

Nice try  Mr Hole..

35% of Londoners voted in the AV referendum. Media's estimate was 15%.  Go London!

(I know celebrating a 35% turnout seems rather odd, but 1.5 million more people than predicted making the effort is surely A Good Thing!)

I voted "Yes," to AV but put "No" as my second choice...
Exactly cancels me out Dan :-)
I went home to South Armagh to exercise my PR-STV early and often out of sheer boredom with FPTP and contempt for AV.
... and, though AV is getting a proper thumping, just heard that Haringey is at present one of 3 areas nationwide to vote YES, with 56.62% in favour.
Surely that's got to be either 56 or 57 voters. (Unless somebody registered their dog.)

I'm not sure that would win you the jackpot in the Salisbury quiz, Alan.  7000 voters, BBC reckons.

(NB, 7000 voters difference: around 70k total!)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service