Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Dear people,
Just hoping someone might have some advice about smoking in adjoined residential property.
I live on Grand Parade in a top flat but the cigarette smoke from my downstairs neighbours is actually driving us crazy. We get on with them, and indeed have a friendly if cursory relationship with them. We have spoken to them on many occasions and have made some headway but they tend not to give a hoot in the long run. They have also been asked to smoke outside on their balcony by their landlord AND the company that runs the freehold. It comes to nothing, especially in cold weather. I appreciate that they are allowed to smoke in their own home but the smoke comes piling up in to our flat and, in winter, we have to open our doors and windows to alleviate the stink (occasionally eye watering). I have two young children, one of four years and one of six months. This makes no odds.
Is there anything I can do? If they want to smoke and increase their chances of getting cancer, fine. Not my kids!

Jimbo

Views: 2027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This isn't an ideal subject for flippancy. A good friend of mine died from lung cancer a few years ago. I won't go into the details, but no one should have to end their time on earth like that. He admitted to another, privately, that it was down to his smoking, beginning in school, where at that time prefects were encouraged to smoke.

Antoinette was just having a bit of a wheeze Clive.

Arf arf! Good one

Antoinette, I sincerely hope that a good friend of yours does not die from smoking-induced lung cancer.

Oh for goodness sake, Clive, take a day off... my grandfather died of throat cancer from smoking if you must know

I'm sorry to hear that Antoinette.

40 a day from the age of 14
Like your thinking. Probably best not though.
I do think a draught excluder at the front door would make a difference. I used to smoke at the conservatory door to the garden if it were raining and was amazed that when we put a draught excluder on the door between the conservatory and kitchen (which we did because of draughts) the smoke smell didn't get through either.
I think some people are not getting this. I tried to discover why heavy smoking in one garden flat affected the three other flats in the conversion. No luck; and I checked windows and loft. The smoke almost appeared to jump across a stairwell and thru solid walks. The culprit flat had its own front door and was mostly entirely separated. There is no solution that can be engineered. Either they stop smoking or leave.
Unless it's a condition in their rental agreement (not smoking) I can't see that being easy to enforce Philip.
Thank you for all the comment and (mostly) sympathy. We own our flat but can't afford to move at the moment, otherwise we would. I've never really thought of myself as un-neighbourly but now I hate the buggers. We have been more than amenable to them and their landlord over time, including looking in on one of them regularly when she was quite ill. I guess some people just don't give a toffee in the long run. Maybe, sadly, i shouldn't be surprised.
As a coda to this post, yesterday when I was at work, the police were 'in and out all day' according to the business below us on the Parade. Due to stolen property being tracked to their flat! They really are shaping up in to the best sort of neighbours.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service