Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

How can I get rid of slugs? They're eating my strawberries. Very frustrating. :(

Tags for Forum Posts: slugs

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/p1821/ADVANCED-SLUG-KILLER-575g/pro...

Its the only way to be sure

Slugs and snails can be just as bad as the plant theives

There is a similar one  called "Natria" by "Bayer" available in "Homebase." It is based on ferric phosphate and approved by "Organic Farmers & Growers." 350g for£4.99.  

Not if you want birds and hedgehogs - at least not the usual pellets. The stuff based on ferric phosphate is meant to be less bad.

This enchanting recipe for breeding your own slug nematodes may appeal.

Or go out after dark on a rainy night with a knitting needle.

We seem to have more of a snail problem here, though the little unseen underground slugs are meant to be the ones doing most damage. Late last night after the very drizzly day, the paths here were literally crawling with snails. Crunch, crunch.

I cannot even look at them, not to mention picking them -with/witout gloves.. My hubby is getting frustrated because he has to do the dirty job. :(

gross - i hate them.

I agree with ant and since I've been using the blue pellets I have had much less of a problem. I tried picking them up after dark or when it rained but it didn't seem to make a dent on the numbers.

Thank you for the replies. These nasty creatures seem to be addicted to my strawberries. I have the blue pellets but I am a bit scared to use them as I read somewhere that the strawberries cannot be eaten as long as the pellets are used...

Go out at night, pick them up by (gloved!) hand and drown them in a bucket of water with washing up liquid in. Do as many as you can before the horror gets too much. Ew ew ew I hate slugs!

Reading all the description at that slug killer link i gave before it says:

"approved  for organic use in the UK by "Organic Farmers and Growers"

"The pellets are based on ferric phosphate which is broken down by micro-organisms to iron and phosphate in the soil, both beneficial for plant growth."

"Birds, hedgehogs and other wildlife that eat slugs and snails will not be harmed, unlike with other commonly available slug pellets."

"Due to the mode of action it can be trusted for use around children, pets and wildlife"

That makes it sound like your strawberries should still be edible if you used it, doesn't it?

I've been using it over the last few days, the snails have been coming out a lot with the rain, and its killed dozens and dozens so far. yuk.

I have to check if the one I have is an organic one. Thanks for replying.

As I was washing up the dishes yesterday evening I watched a snail gliding along the outside of my kitchen window. I'd never seen a snail from this angle before; it would open its mouth and rasp the residue from the window whilst it's body moved forward in a "wave like motion".

Reminded me of these pics I added a few years back.

We used to kill these orange coloured ones when I lived in DK. They caused a lot of problem on Bornholm island. :(

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service