Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Should Harringay Online (& similar websites) report all local crime?

There seem to have been a spate of incidents on the streets hereabouts recently and we or other HoL users have added posts about them online.

Reading one response to a crime related post from a member this morning, I was uncomfortable to read that she's starting to feel more nervous about going out now. I'm wondering whether we're doing the community a disservice by providing a platform for these crime stories.

On the one hand, it's good to be informed. On the other, are we responsible for creating more fear than there's cause for?

Is there a middle ground? Could we do things differently that would meet both the desire to inform and the wish not to cause undue concern?

Tags for Forum Posts: scam

Views: 243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If something comes of conversations like this one over on another thread, does that argue for the openness working?

Yes, Hugh. The sort of positive openness Liz is pursuing there links with the very positive links she and others, including Elle, made with the police through Nora & Lammy's Office almost a year ago. No one should want to ban or "censor" the sort of conversations that lead to initial community-police results like that.

btw a point made in the police's "defence" was that their hands are tied when offences or crimes, though posted at length on HOL, are not reported (by victims or eyewitnesses) to the police.

and btw2: it seems a pity that Nora (whatever her perception of HOL electioneering) has disappeared into a black hole. Come to think of it, how many of last year's 13 would-be-councillors have we heard as much as a cheep or a tweet or a post from on any topic?

I'd also add in defence of our local police, they are the single most active and constructive contributors of community websites in London and possibly the UK. So much so that they've attracted significant interest from London and national police.

When the restrictive environment the Met has till recently imposed is taken into account, Glyn & Jono actually deserve a huge round of applause for their willingness to contribute. They've been pioneers. My thanks to them.

The powers that be at the Met have very recently changed their policy on the use of social media and are now encouraging use of it. Our boys were there three and a half years ago. Good for them!

Yes I'd agree with that Hugh.
If you're feeling thematic try this listing of Old Bailey proceedings relating to Harringay in times gone by.
It is good to know that the Harringay residents have such confidence in their SNT to be involved and keep them informed. We are not all as fortunate in other parts of Haringey (yes i know HoL is aimed mainly at Harringay residents). I have encouraged the Hornsey SNT to communicate better with residents but have failed even to find them at their publicised Drop In events, let alone online. So HoL is a very useful info source for criminal events that have yet to reach local papers who are often well behind with news.

I agree with a lot of other posters - it wouldn't be realistic (or right) to prevent posts about local crime, and that they can be a valuable source of information for people.

I remember (many years ago) moving into a flat in Stroud Green, where I was living on my own for the first time. I'd lived in the area for a few years but didn't know it that well - just trotted off to work each day and came back at night. To celebrate what seemed like true adult-hood, I decided to buy a local paper for the first time, and found out that the road I was moving to had been the scene of a really horrible crime the week before as well as several violent muggings a few weeks before that. I was horrified and felt completely paranoid for my first few months there, and walked the most bizarre way back from the tube to avoid particular bits of my own road. I didn't buy any more local papers and soon started feeling happier about the area. But that wouldn't work for me now - I want to know what is happening where I live, the good and the bad, but I do understand why being jolted out of (for want of a better word) blissful ignorance can be a bit of a shock.

no

The Green Lanes stabbing has been recorded in fact a named suspect has been given to us anonomously.

Unfortunately as it was gang related the `victims` will not co-operate but at least we have further intell of another gang member from this

Oh.
So as not scare anyone unnecesarily they were a North Tottenham gang members and Wood Green. They very infrequently meet up as far South as Green Lanes

This is a really good post Hugh. I think getting factual information from both fellow HoL people and from the Police on what's been happening in the area is really helpful and I wouldn't want to see that stopped.  However, having to trawl through sensationalist noise to get to the facts is annoying to say the least. 

I'm not sure whether there is a solution though, aside from getting better at skim reading... anyway, what I think of as a pointless post may be pure gold for someone else.  My only possible solution is that once a post which started life headed something like 'God, what was happening on Green Lanes tonight??' gets an answer from a verifiable source - the post gets renamed to state what it was.  At least then it's clear.

Although I'd also love to have less crime/cuts/doom/gloom and more upbeat stuff being discussed on HoL - I kind of think you've got to go with Ghandi on this one - you've got to be the change you want to see in the world.  Everyone has their point of view, if the regular moaning gets you down, ignore those theads and go with a new one about something about the area which you liked.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service