Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What message would you take from this notice in the Hornsey Health Centre car park on Park Road?

I, like I'm sure many, people read

PATIENT PARKING ONLY

MAXIMUM STAY 2 HOURS

So, I thought, Good, I'm okay then. What I didn't see was

ALL PATIENTS MUST REGISTER THEIR FULL AND CORRECT VEHICLE
REGISTRATION VIA THE CONSOLE LOCATED IN THE HEALTH CENTRE
TO RECEIVE 2 HOURS PARKING

I can only think of one reason that the sign was designed in such a way so as to make the parking permission very visible, but the condition so much less likely to be noticed.

Failure to notice the condition results in an £85.00 fine.

One expects no better from Euro Car Parks, but I'd expect more from Whittington Health Services.  The local team must at the very least be aware of this issue and they have apparently taken no steps to rectify it.

I know for a fact that I'm not the only one to have been caught out. Coincidentally, just ten minutes after I went back to the car park to check the parking notices, the clinic rang me to arrange my next appointment. I mentioned the parking issue. The person commiserated and said she's just got off the phone with a very distraught lady who's also been caught out.

I have a rule of thumb with parking and traffic rules these days. Just follow the rules and NEVER try and bend them - or if you do accept that you may well have to pay the price. But when an operator has clearly gone to some effort to make sure the rules aren't clear, I call foul. 

Had it been a private company car park, I may have scrutinised the sign more carefully. But I guess my guard must have been down because it was a hospital.

Needless to say I'll be appealing the fine, but I'm also calling on the Whittington Health Trust to get these signs changed immediately, and to suspend all fines until the change has been made. 

Views: 3081

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The building is under the ownership of a different part of the NHS. However, we can assume that any tenant will have a very influential role on the management of the parking for a building they lease. So, in my opinion, it's misleading to say that the car park isn't under the control of the Whittington.

As to forgetting to sign in, also not true. I didn't forget because I didn't know. I didn't know because I was never made aware. The signage in the car park makes it very likely that people will only see the permission and not the requirement to sign in. As to any signage at the reception, I didn't go to reception. My clinic is on the second, floor. I just go straight up.

There is no excusing this set-up. It's just plain wrong.

I have just received a parking ticket for £85 for parking in the car park of Queenswood Medical Practice to visit Dr. Ellerby's knitting group for 10 minutes. I am a patient of the surgery and have been for many years and until recently have used the free car park at times.  Now that has all changed in a matter of months.  there is now an unscrupulous car parking company in charge.  I thought I was OK as the sign read parking for 2 hours.  I did not register the small print and therefore did not sign my car registration in.  

I will take issue with this and appeal, of course.  However I am shocked and horrified that a Health Centre whose customer's are the unwell and vulnerable and may have sight problems are subjected to this car parking thuggery.

It is shameful to pray on patients for profit and this scheme should be abolished immediately and a suitable alternative put in place.  Those responsible for the decision to tender out to Euro carparks should be held to account.  I will be taking this further.

I am intrigued re Dr Ellerbys knitting group, any more information on this please?

I have also just been caught out by this. So annoyed and upset. Can I ask whether any of you had any success with your appeals?

Yes, I did. 

Well done for standing up to them! I will do the same. Do you mind if I ask what your key points were? So pleased that they didn't get away with it in your case. They are con merchants.

I’ll see if I kept any email correspondence with them later. 

I had a look and I'm afraid I must have chucked it out in one of my disk storage clear outs.  I would have just explained why I thought ir was unfair and the circumstances of the fine. 

From what I remember the decision was rather grudgingly made and communicated with little grace -  a sense that I should count myself lucky, I recall! 

Oh hang on, another search with Spotlight gave me my email to them, but not their reply.

Subject: Shame on Whittington Health Services
Date: 31 May 2019 at 17:56:42 BST

Dear Siobhan, Carol and Jonathan,
I am writing to you about an experience at Hornsey Central Health Centre. 
I’m sure that you’re all dealing with far gnarlier issues than the one I raise. 
However, the experience leaves me little short of feeling scammed. Not what I expect from the NHS. I thought therefore that you may have an interest.
I would appreciate your reply.
Best regards,
Hugh
Hugh Flouch

Thank you Hugh - I really appreciate it.

They stole 80 quid off me even though I paid at the North Mid. They refused to accept that s visa card payment was proof I had paid! I was collecting my ex from a minor but sensitive procedure. Best go by taxi. 

I thought I would let people know that I appealed against the ticket I was issued at Hornsey Central Neighbourhood Health Centre and it was cancelled. If it is of help to anyone who gets caught in the same way, the reasons I gave for appeal were:

1. I had a valid medical appointment at Hornsey Health Centre (evidence attached)

2. The sign is really misleading. It says in large letters ‘PATIENT PARKING ONLY MAXIMUM STAY 2 HOURS’, which makes you think it is fine to park there and does not make it clear that there are conditions (photo attached).

3. The tiny text under that which I now know states conditions was not legible for me, as I was required to wear a mask throughout my visit, which meant my glasses were steamed up and my vision was impaired.

4. I argued that they suffered no loss, as the parking is meant to be free for patients.

I also put in a complaint to the Whittington Health Trust via PALS.

I am not sure which one of these did the trick, but hope that it is helpful to others. :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service