Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I witnessed the most staggeringly selfish piece of parking on the zig zags outside South Harringay Juniors yesterday.... there was already a car double parked on the opposite side of the road when this mother drove up parked on the yellow zig zags outside the school, entirely blocking traffic along Mattison Road, and leaving cyclists mounting the pavements to get through and a line of cars beeping and hollering.  Children were attempting to cross between cars trying to find a way through.  It was chaos.  What can we do to re-educate people to not be so selfish and to not put other children's lives at risk for their own short-sighted convenience?  Answers on a postcard to.....

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First step could be writing a letter to the Head Teacher who could possibly send out letters of concern to parents and carers.

Yes, done that just now.  They have a text service to parents and I politely asked if parents could be reminded not to park on the yellow zig zags or double park opposite them either.  I saw on another Hol forum post from 4 years ago that they launched banners at the school showing children lying on the floor to make the zig zags outside their school.  Very effective.  You wonder why they were ever taken down.

They are still outside the infants...

Get a parking inforcement officer to stand there handing out tickets from 8.30 to 9.15 on school days, it's a win win. they issue more tickets for council quotas and no bad parking. He/she might need body armour though.

There was a parking enforcement person this morning (Wednesday).

And there was yesterday morning, and indeed while that incident happened.  But he had gone up the road and was ticketing cars that had moved off the yellow zig zags into resident parking bays.  That really properly hacks me off, because it acts as a disincentive to parking somewhere more appropriate than on the yellow zig zags.  A classic case of raising revenue being seen as more important than ensuring our children's safety?  Oh I feel a soapbox moment coming on!! God help us all......

The head is a good guy, but he cannot police the actions of parents. The ones he needs to get too are not likely to be listening anyway. The only way to combat this is get an enforcement guy there to issue tickets. Ian (Scotchbrook- the head) might be able to ask for someone to stand outside the schools. The situation can be as bad (and dangerous) outside the infants.

Also, take a picture of the car and report it to the traffic enforcement guys in the council!

Well I've been very impressed with Ian Scotchbrook so far, so I have confidence that he will do what he can - a text to all parents/carers is what I've asked for and I'm sure he will do that at the very least.  And as he is now Head of both the Juniors and the Infants, I would hope that text would go to all parents/carers for both schools.  This is a child protection issue so he should take it seriously.  And I will indeed take photographs next time.

Well our faith in Ian Scotchbrook was well placed! Got the round robin text from the school at 8am this morning to say please don't drop off/pick up by car unless absolutely necessary, and to not park on the zig zags or to double park, and that parking enforcement will be informed. All good stuff. Let's just hope people take heed now.

I've just remembered that the parking inforcement people used to park a camera car down the road from North harringay (when my kids were there). That seemed to sort the parking out for a while. It takes time for the tickets to arrive at peoples homes and drivers to become aware that bad parking is costing them money. But the parking poeple are able to ticket people who 'just' drop and go on the zig zags with photo and video evidence. 

Some people know that sitting in the road stationary for a while is not a parking offence though...

Then you're reduced to kids target practice - throwing rotten tomatoes/wet newspaper from the side of the road. Could be great fun - think spainish feista's and St Trinians.

You could also try groups of parents 5-6 politely asking the drivers to move or not to stop. if the group of parents change everyday it will become obvious how unpopular the drivers are over time.

Apart from the above i've run out of ideas

oh no - kids and few 'super soakers' full of foam/shaving foam aimed at the windscreen. 

Now i've run out of ideas - sorry

Its always going to be a problem i'm afraid, and still is at north harringay I understand.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service