Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

SAY NO TO GIANT GRAINGER ADVERT / wards corner Seven Sisters !!!!!

Please express your concern / disapproval of the proposed 6.5meter x 9.5meter MASSIVE Grainger advert to be placed on our beleaguered Wards Corner....

Pics attached, 

GO HERE TO COMMENT:

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/Applica...

Views: 615

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why ?

At least it looks better than the present derelict frontage.

Sensible reasons for objecting might include the size and scale of the advert and the risk of a precedent for other developers who want to put up huge billboards on other prominent sites in the borough.

We had this with a huge Bellway banner defacing the River Lee. Removed by Haringey after I objected.

Our river, Bellway's billboard

It seems to me that Grainger can be challenged for trying to have their cake and eat it. After all, they claim their new building will be a well-designed and well-built addition to Tottenham's streetscape. If that is the case, then it isn't just a base unit to hoist large illuminated billboards over the High Road. So let's have some consistency.

I also think it's poor judgement by Grainger - or whoever is advising them - to put up what seems to be a campaigning signboard. What happens next depends on the legal process underway - which appears to be at endgame stage. If I'm right, then I don't see how expressions of support or opposition are going to affect the outcome.

People opposed to the development won't be convinced; and those in favour don't need illuminated ads. If and when Grainger's new building goes up, the former will condemn it unreservedly. While the latter will rush along for an important lunch, plus handshakes and photo-op smiles. Whoever then leads the council will make a speech about kickstarting the regeneration of Tottenham.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor. Party whip-free.)

How long do they want to put this ad up for? 

Permission requested until 31/05/18

If LBH and TfL had not deliberatley blocked the many requests to reopen and use the store for the past 40 years, especially the last decade, it would not look so derelict now.  In fact it's far from derelict, it's remarkably well preserved, eg still has its original cornices which I am told are highly sought after.

You've mentioned this "blocking" before, Pam. But I asked to see some actual evidence that this was the case. So far nobody has produced any.

To clarify, I have no doubt whatever of your good faith in making this allegation. Nor the possibility that this may be the case. It seems to be a belief held by a number of people. However, a sincerely held belief is not the same thing.

I'm surprised that Grainger want to do this; presumably they believe there is still a need to wage a PR campaign. The proposed development might well look fine: elsewhere! As it stands, its an unsympathetic change that would involve the loss of an an elegant and interesting Edwardian building. I've seen photos of the interior. As things stand, I won't get the chance to see inside before Grainger's wrecking balls start swinging.

This is Grainger's 3rd attempt to put propaganda on the most interesting part of the building that is ALREADY scarred with some ugly billboards. The badly conceived Grainger plans continue to be fought off by the Wards Corner Coalition campaigners. It will go to appeal. So the Battle is NOT over.
People's livelihoods are at stake here as well as the soul of our Tottenham. Wards Corner Campaigners definitely want improvement around Seven Sisters and Tottenham and that is happening already without the need to destroy the building that gives this corner a sense of uniqueness. Sainsburys has moved in. The units at 261b is being restored to a traditional store frontage. If Grainger and Haringey Council had sense they would now seek to work WITH campaigners to find a resolution that would serve everyone! Practice what they are preaching in their own PR. Work for real people-centered regeneration!

JJ have you or anyone else in the Ward's Corner Coalition tried recently to talk to Grainger? And by "talk to" I have in mind a process with some mutual respect, listening, openness and  reflection.

JJ sometimes I think LBH Planning needs to be taken into Special Measures!

Five and half years ago, the High Court delivered a stunning victory to the Save Ally Pally campaign that effectively stalled the local council's maniacal drive to sell Ally Pally, spearheaded by the disgraced Cllr. Charles Adje, but representing long-settled majority group policy.

After a long period of drift, the council realised the game was up, appointed a fine leader to the new post of Chief Executive and set about real regeneration, supported by the public! Things go so much better when you work with the grain, rather than against it, don't they?

Yesterday all the careful planning came to mark a milestone when the Heritage Lottery Fund agreed to begin the process that should see the whole east side of AP fixed up.

Graingers sole interest is in maximising their developer profit, aided and abetted by a compliant council. Part of the evidence for this is their off-the-peg, slab-sided hulk, that looks much the same as 1,001 other office blocks.

I yet hope that, in respect of Wards Corner, the council will have a change of heart, halts their top-down imposed plan, recognizes the community's wishes and adopts a more user-friendly solution.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service