Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Salisbury Road/Grand Parade Waterfall. Help! Who do I call to complain?

We have a new water feature in Harringay it seems, just by the 341 bus stop on Salisbury Road. The sadly neglected Victorian mansion that houses Fairline is now covering the pavement, its own walls and people at the bus stop with water. Looking up I spy vegetation in the gutter (as well as a fine Victorian moulding that ain't gonna last at this rate).

So wonderful, knowledgeble HOL people... Who do I need to write to in order to complain? Anyone know who the owner/agent is? Do the council have rights to enforce maintenance on a property, especially if that property is causing a hindrance and possible even a danger to the public?

Over to you...

Tags for Forum Posts: Victorian heritage, grand parade, property maintenance, rogue landlords, salisbury road

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why not copy the other councillors in - can't hurt!
Is there no way you could club together and force the landlord to sell you the freehold? I believe there are laws now that mean that landlords have to consider it if everyone in a block wants it. That's how we got the freehold on our first property in a block of flats. You need to form a management company and have directors and a secretary but it isn't as scary as it sounds.
The Urban Environment Complaints Team are at present dealing with a form I submitted about the leak at a Haringey Community Volunteers meeting. They are supposed to get back to me by 4th Feb. That leak was once repaired but obviously not well enough.
Keep us informed Margaret. I go to Community Volunteers when I can, see you at the next one maybe?
To be honest, Liz, the other leaseholders are all (surprised?) buy to let, and, although one or two were enthusiastic about trying to get the building sorted out initially, the major works notice frightened them off a bit and given the current credit situation they seem more than happy to let it slide and not put any pressure on the landlord - never mind taking over the freehold! Also I'm the only one that actually lives there, so obviously I'm the only one left who gives a sh**. Very frustrating!
But thanks for your comments and suggestions, and I'll let you know if I hear anything from the councilors.
MariaD your comment is very interesting.

This is precisely what happened in some other blocks where I became involved - as a Tottenham Hale councillor - on behalf of local residents. We saw the impact of the buy-to-let plague; plus use of flats as temporary housing by couldn't-care-less organisations including NASS, private agents, a few of the worst Housing Associations; and local councils from across London eager to palm-off people to Haringey.

The outcome can be the degradation of perfectly good homes and a drastic lowering of quality of life for tenants and leaseholders who remain.

Of course, most temporary tenants don't cause problems. And not every landlord and managing agent run their properties badly. I also have friends who've had to rent their homes and been ripped-off by unscrupulous tenants.

But as a general issue, the set-up seems perfect for problems; for exploitation of vulnerable people; and to make large profits for a few.
Just to update anyone who's interested on the council's response to my query about 12 Grand Parade: one of the councilors took the matter up (Canver Nilgun) and a duty officer just called me and says he's inspected the building and is confident he can serve notice on the landlord to fix the guttering. Not sure how this will work out, but fingers crossed. Thanks again to everyone for their helpful suggestions - it would never have occurred to me to try this route!
That sounds like some positive news. We'll keep our collective fingers crossed for you, I'm sure.
More good news.
I'm told that the owner of 13 has also been served notice to sort the guttering and now has a period of time in which to comply. After that, it is either prosecution or the council will carry out the work and bill the owner.
And more good news - I heard from the council this morning that they are serving notice on the landlord of 12 Grand Parade today. There's obviously still a long way to go on this, but I just wanted to thank everyone on HOL for your suggestion to contact the council - I'd still be at square one without that. So many thanks!
Great news - keep us updated, Maria.
I have just had a message from my source on the Council giving me the same information, so they can get their act together.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service