Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Salisbury Road/Grand Parade Waterfall. Help! Who do I call to complain?

We have a new water feature in Harringay it seems, just by the 341 bus stop on Salisbury Road. The sadly neglected Victorian mansion that houses Fairline is now covering the pavement, its own walls and people at the bus stop with water. Looking up I spy vegetation in the gutter (as well as a fine Victorian moulding that ain't gonna last at this rate).

So wonderful, knowledgeble HOL people... Who do I need to write to in order to complain? Anyone know who the owner/agent is? Do the council have rights to enforce maintenance on a property, especially if that property is causing a hindrance and possible even a danger to the public?

Over to you...

Tags for Forum Posts: Victorian heritage, grand parade, property maintenance, rogue landlords, salisbury road

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This area of concern has been reported to the council over a period of at least 2 years. It was repaired briefly about a year ago but now is worse than ever.I put in a complaint a week ago on the Council website and also reported it at the Haringey Volunteers meeting last week and some of my neighbours in Salisbury Rd have reported it with no feedback.
It is a pity that that building is responsible for the water problem and also some of the rubbish problem in the road, tenants put their black bags out on the pavement in the early hours of the morning. Salisbury Rd is cleaned regularly now and although it has 58% HMOs is much cleaner and more looked after than in the past. Graffiti is even cleaned off the telephone box at the other end of the road.
Thanks Margaret, I guess we are going to have to keep complaining until we get heard, tedious though that is.
Do you know who the owner/agent is for the building? It might be worth speaking directly to them and seeing if we can get them to do something. You have two outstanding examples of Victorian buildings at the end of your road and there really needs to be some work done on getting them looked after in a sympathetic way.

On a brighter note, I notice that they have put the door back on the telephone cabinet near the bus stop.
Someone somewhere should know who the owner of the building is as there is a bit of a history of complaints. Maybe they are not in the country and therefore not able to be contacted. That's the rumour around here. The road is very very busy and everyone walks down there to get to somewhere else, so don't care about what they kick around or what rubbish they drop. We don't get burgled or assaulted so I guess that's a plus. Because the road is so busy with pedestrians and traffic, the residents give up on complaining after a while as it's not in our control. I have only been back to my flat for a bit over a year now and notice that in spite of the feel of a main road there are now trees and a rubbish bin at my end of the road and this has made a great difference. I am not actually complaining about the busy road because I see absolutely everything happening outside my windows so will never be lonely in my old age. The only problem is that it will never be part of green Haringey as there is so much pollution from idling traffic trying to get out to Green Lanes in rush hours.

As for the Victorian buildings - years ago a few people were trying to get some recognition for them and getting some help to restore them a bit. Money was the issue I think and when I came back to the country everyone had given up. Maybe we need a Civitas Tottenham in the area.
Have you approached the Tottenham Civic society about them?
I was told that English Heritage were brought to look at them and the whole of Grand parade but showed little interest. However, the attitude to local heritage is changing and if you can tie conservation to a local regeneration agenda for social good, they might reconsider.
Do you have a residents group in Salisbury Road? It might be worth having another go. I'd be happy to help.
It's not possible to get a residents group in Salisbury Rd as there is so much diversity of occupants. There are 4 members in the Neighbourhood Watch but that was the best I could do. Some of the residents are Greek families who have been here for ever and have their own friends and although I do know the Turkish family in the road because my elder daughter is married to a Turk, they don't want to be involved with anyone else except their own circle of friends. Salisbury Mansions have their own group. I have the feeling from the residents I speak to in the road that they are not interested in the history of the area, they just live there because it was a cheaper area to buy into and handy to transport and shops.

I would like to see the area kept up as it's a pity to lose history. I come from NZ and we are very keen on keeping local history going there, but it's a very small country and not so diverse a population.

I am a bit involved at present with campaigning for the NHS and the new community healthcare services to be rolled out. I intend to slowly remove myself from those activities after February when they should be launched, as health matters are not really my first interest. I could then perhaps act on your remark about the attitude to local heritage changing. I will contact Tottenham Civic Society as I often attend their events. Unfortunately my daughter turned down the job as Archivist at Bruce Castle Museum which might have been a useful contact.

I will let you know of any developments, thanks for your comments.
Great.

Part of the reason I think that people show little interest is that they don't see themselves as part of the layers of history (they probably feel a closer affinity with Greek/Turkish history although they don't live there as it is bound up with their own sense of identity) that make up an area. Their presence has impacted enormously on the area and their stories are part of the collective memory but they either don't feel culturally able to share them or they simply haven't been asked. Its a fascinating topic...I best not get started on it here.

I can supply you with a bit of history, quotes from various bodies on this and examples of similar projects, including here in Haringey, when you feel ready to get going on this. Just drop me a line.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on at Dasos about the immediate problem with the water.
Hi - I actually live in (and own) a flat in 12 Grand Parade, on the second floor. The damp from the water coming down the Salisbury road side of the building is massively affecting my internal wall. For the last year I've been trying to get the Landlord (a company called Monte Properties) to fix the guttering along the roof to solve the problem of water pouring down the side of the wall and seeping in through the brickwork. They issued a Section 20 notice of major works last summer but since then have done nothing, despite entreaties on the part of myself and the other leaseholders; I've kind of run out of ideas so if anyone knows a good solicitor, or whether the council can put any pressure on them to do something, or has any other suggestions they would be most gratefully received!
Maria have you got your councilors involved? You should try. They SHOULD be able to help unstick things. See here for their contact info.
Maria, 12 is the block above Ladbrokes, isn't it? Have they any sway with the landlords, as the damage will impact on them as well. The two buildings at the end of Salisbury Road are fine examples of late Victorian architecture with many original features, we must be able to get someone to take note of them and work with the landlords to maintain them properly.

I'm going to be following this up regularly with Dasos so I'll bring in the issue on both sides of the road. And write to your councillors as Hugh suggests. Let us know what they say.
With regard to the water, can people please take photos if poss and note times that it is leaking and let me know. I am going to bug them each and every time there is water in the pavement from the building.
Thanks for the contact details, Hugh, I'll start writing to the councilors (Brian Haley seems to be responsible for environment so I'll start with him) and see if they can help.
You're right, it's a beautiful building (as is the one opposite) and it's a terrible shame that they're being neglected this way - I bought my flat because I liked it so much, but you're more or less at the mercy of the landlord on these things.
PS - what/who is Dasos?
Dasos is the neighbourhood manager who is responsible for getting things done around here. His contact details:
Dasos Maliotis, Neighbourhood Manager for St Ann’s and Harringay,
2nd Floor, Alexandra House,10 Station Road, Wood Green, London N22 7TR.
Tel: 020 8489 4936
dasos.maliotis@haringey.gov.uk

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service