Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There is an enormous amount of rubbish being dumped around the public bin directly in front of our house for at least 5 or 6 days- 10+ bags and various other rubbish...most of which has been torn open and is spilling out everywhere. The flies are really becoming an issue; (

To add to that, we were noticing that our bins (especially recycling) are not being picked up regularly at all. In fact, my husband happened to hear the bin man and watched him- he was looking at each houses bins and skipping some intentionally. Ours was completely full and he looked at it and walked on by! My husband ran after him down the street, with the bin and made him empty it. ????? I'm starting to feel like we live in the middle of a dump.

Help on those issues please! Thanks☺

Views: 4092

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the SLA is that the bags are collected same day. These were left overnight, so in my view it's akin to dumping.

"Take it back to basics - photograph everything, write to our councillors, tweet the horrors, post on here and try and bring the issue back to the fore."

I think that's broadly the right approach.  And while I don't agree with people who tell me it's as bad as ever, both Liz Ixer and I have an extensive collection of photos going back years. So Liz knows whereof she speaks.
However my own overall impression - I'm not claiming more than that - is that while things have got worse recently they've not dipped down to the horror stories of years ago.

To Liz's recommendations I'd include putting the current so-called "cabinet" member as the first recipient of your emails. (peray.ahmet@haringey.gov.uk) And if that doesn't seem to work, adding the Council Leader, Claire Kober. (claire.kober@haringey.gov.uk)

People may wish to remind Cllr Kober of her boast in Election Manifesto for May 2014.
         "Our streets are among the cleanest in London and
           resident satisfaction is at its highest ever level."

Not as bad as the very bad old days yet but slipping bit by bit. I don't want to wait until we are wading through filth again. It *is* getting worse, there's a lot more litter and small fly tips of black bags ( the Iceland bags by street lights have stopped presumably because you have to pay for their bags now!) - it gets very bad at the bottom of Ladder and Garden Roads near GLanes and near rubbish bins. Having been away for a bit, you really notice the smell too of festering waste.

@Abi - I do general tweets of horrible tips and tag it #cleanestborough - I tweet Peray sometimes, CKober sometimes and @haringeycouncil. But not too much. I do tweet Veolia but as I'm guessing the poor beggar running that account is probably just someone from PR and Comms who was probably hoping to tweet recycling tips, I don't overdo the rants unless things aren't being dealt with. The important thing is to be building a picture of when, where, and speed of response, as well as showing how the perennial purple bag problem is making the problem worse.

Incidentally West Green Road and the surrounding area definitely needs an urgent action plan. I don't know who the councillors are for that area but they really need to pull their finger out and get some enforcement down there. Last summer, I had to walk there daily to pick up my daughter from school and I was appalled at the levels of dumping, the lack of care around shops and the general litter. It's a terrible message to send to the hundreds of kids who use those routes to and from school every day of how little the council seems to care about their environment.

And far more important than what kids think of the local council - which may be little or perhaps nothing at all - what they absorb in what I call pavement lessons. The "Hidden Curriculum" of the streets near their homes day-by-day, month-by-month. Modelling - often badly - how many people can and do behave to one another as neighbours. Poor citizenship lessons, which may undermine the learning from their parents and their schools.

I hope council members don't take offence to Liz's suggestions, we're all trying to contribute, I witnessed one councilor disengaging completely, it's so easy to get off on the wrong foot.

I do remember 2010 being tidy around the elections, so what ever LBH was doing then obviously worked.

Liz is right.

We have to keep plugging  away... reporting via the ourHaringey and so forth.

Our neighbourhood coordinator is highly thought of by people who work with him. The council 'cabinet' have to provide the cash and political support to keep the place clean. They are the ones who have to be held to account. They need to support the staff on the ground .

Whatever happened to jetwashing the bins, washing down the pavements an clearing the chewing gum? 

I'll happily lend anyone my jetwash to hose the bins down - or do it myself. 

I think the council did an enforcement blitz on West Green Road a few months ago.  I used to work in enforcement so I could see the signs - more branded bags outside the shops. 

The street has now backslid and I see the same massive black bags outside the same shops every day.  There is also a much-loved local business (not naming names though) stuffing litter bins full of black bags or leaving them next to litter bins, even though they have their own commercial waste bin at the back.

When the street looks untidy this encourages littering - I have seen this myself when bags are put out at the wrong time, even next to a bin, people will throw their litter on top of the bag rather than put it in the bin.

There needs to be another enforcement blitz on West Green Road to bring it back up to standard. 

Why can't the council get tough on litter and start fining people? 

How could they know who's dumping it all?  Especially since residents of flats are allowed to chuck their rubbish on the pavements.  The pavement on Green Lanes is absolutely rank at the moment, apart from the few shops and restaurants who scrub their section in the mornings, the rest of it is filthy. 

By going through bags and finding something with an address on it. Letters have to be outside envelopes otherwise they should be assumed to be a wrong address. Collection times are well advertised though with residential waste the difficulty is in proving it was not left behind from an earlier collection. Business waste needs to be transferred to a licensed waste carrier and needs to be in marked bags for this purpose. Again evidence (a letter, menu, till receipt copy) needs to be present.

It's not a fun job though the legal side of it is technically challenging. I'm glad not to be doing it any more though!

Go though the bins. There's a UK reality TV show about rubbish people and that's what the enforcers do. Amazing what you learn on daytime TV.

Why can't people just behave like civilised human beings?  I think it's all well and good blaming the Council for not clearing up our mess.  But what about us taking responsibility for ourselves and not making the mess in the first place?  I say bring back the "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign....make littering as socially unacceptable as drink driving... I think Sarah has the right attitude - challenge people's behaviour when you see it happening....that's the way to reduce the problem

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service