Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There is an enormous amount of rubbish being dumped around the public bin directly in front of our house for at least 5 or 6 days- 10+ bags and various other rubbish...most of which has been torn open and is spilling out everywhere. The flies are really becoming an issue; (

To add to that, we were noticing that our bins (especially recycling) are not being picked up regularly at all. In fact, my husband happened to hear the bin man and watched him- he was looking at each houses bins and skipping some intentionally. Ours was completely full and he looked at it and walked on by! My husband ran after him down the street, with the bin and made him empty it. ????? I'm starting to feel like we live in the middle of a dump.

Help on those issues please! Thanks☺

Views: 4090

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And even when you use reusable nappies, you still need to put baby''s solid waste, or at least the nappy liner in the bin and that smells

You might give it a go but trust me you'll be in disposable nappies within days....particularly if you don't have outdoor drying space

I don't but I have a Lakeland Dry Soon... That said, I'd get a bigger place with a garden before having a baby.
I used reusables for two kids (and I worked) even through the winter with no dryer so it is possible ( as it was before such things were invented). Even part-time use is helpful and there were ( not sure if these still exist) small grants available to help with the initial outlay - it's also something families can contribute to when they are keen to buy something for the new baby.

Problems arise if kids go to nursery early as few will use reusables. However, we continued with part-time use and looked for bio-degradable brands to give to nursery.

When they are a little older, solids can often be scrapped into the loo, as you do with reusables, even from disposables provided there aren't are tummy upsets to contend with! This avoids the problem of a bin full of nappies going off in the summer sun quite well, although sometimes the contents are so disastrous the only thing to do with a disposable and sometimes the clothes too is to bag and bin it but this is quite rare :) when this happens with reusables - you put the whole lot in the lav, hold one corner and keep flushing!

You don't have to be a martyr or a zealot about it - holidays, days out were usually disposables, although some of my friends were able to use the new more modern ones even then. Do a bit of research, buy a few to try if you're not sure, but I didn't really find it a huge burden and I used the cheapest system which is also the most fiddly Bambino Mio. When the kids grow up, they make excellent cleaning cloths!
Liz, that's pretty much what my brother and sister-in-law do with my niece and nephew. You can get a roll of liners so you can just hold the nappy over the toilet and solid waste falls in along with the liner.

I think the subsidy is still available - it was a couple of years ago when I was working in sustainability for a local authority.
No, like me and Liz said, it goes down the toilet.

The liners don't go down the loo, do they?  I thought they were like baby wipes and weren't flushable because they don't disintegrate and block the drains.  So they would need to go in the bin (like aforementioned ladies' unmentionables). 

You can get flushable liners, that's what everyone I know uses.
No, liners are like flushable toilet paper. They bio-degrade unlike wipes and sanitary towels and tampons. As I said, *all* solids can go down the loo ( even when I used disposables, I scrapped them into the loo) even when you have to hose it off them. See previous comment about holding nappy in toilet and flushing -using the toilet like a basin.
The half way house is corn starch nappies, now available at Beans and Barley, & maybe even Harringay Local Store. We used the Natty brand.

As opposed to imaginary ones?

This issue has been getting me does for ages. West green road is horrid, the red house is always a tip, the little park and children's play area (Stanley culross?) is always filled with rubbish, broken glass, and glenwood road has fly tipping sites at both ends. It definitely feels like an area that no one cares about. I document it daily but still don't know what to do to really get change.

H4H and veolia, when I've complained about fly tipping at Albany close just tell me they clear it daily and have cctv. If I I could be bothered id do an FOI request and see how many cases they've brought using the cctv. Recently someone has taken to dumping giant bags of tree clippings, I mean branches as big as small trees. I do understand that budgets have been cut, but it's so depressing.
Attachments:

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service