Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Did anyone else see the route masters on Green Lanes today? I was cycling home and was very excited to see one in front of me. I was disappointed not to get a photo but luckily my daughter not only got some photos but actually rode on one.

Views: 2380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I saw a beautiful green one running as a 29. Couldn't take a photo as was on my bike.

A great ad posted by Stephen for AEC Southall.  I remember the RT buses with the number box on the front roof that some used to have. Seeing a Routemaster on the 29 route is special, but an RT still in service is very rare.

I saw both running on the 29 bus route along Green Lanes but didn't have my camera. It was a lovely sight and made me smile but was also amused that many boarding them didn't seem to show any surprise that they were being served by such lovely buses but were just preoccupied with getting on with their journey.

Haha, the tube strike last year I had such a lovely journey in on the green bus, got to work saying "best tube strike ever!"  Luckily many of my colleagues were working from home so they didn't have to experience my smugness.

Exclusive First Editions

Here's a chance to own your own - made in Enfield!

Those were the days   

Fruit and Veg stalls on the road rather than on the pavement - Marble Arch  1950s -   oh yeah, and with a RT passing

Anyone remember trolley buses?, I was brought up near the junction of Green Dragon Lane / Green Lanes, the pantographs often used to fall off when the bus used to turn the corner. 

The bus garage at the top of Lordship Lane (now long gone) was used for the beginning shots of the original On The Buses series. You could get a bus to Southend from there.

The old PO/BT yard Willow Walk / WG Road was originally a bus garage.

That bus garage (top of Lordship Lane) belonged to Eastern National and they ran the 251 to Southend via Tottenham Hale and Ferry Lane using Bristol FLFs similar to the forward door Routemasters discussed elsewhere on this thread.

Trolley buses.  I can remember my mum asking the conductor for the fares - 'Three ha'penny and a penny please."

Green Dragon Lane ? Then this one is for you. Taken in the changeover period from Trolleybuses to Routemasters - 1961. The 269 replaced Trolleybus 629 in April 1961 and ran from Enfield via Harringay to Tottenham Court Road parallel to the 29, which ran Hadley Wood > Cockfosters > Southgate > Harringay > Victoria at that time.

The 641 was replaced by the 141 and seen here on Green Lanes at Winchmore Hill. Trolleybus 1262 is one of the ubiquitous K1 type, which were to be seen working on all routes in Tottenham & Harringay. They were introduced in 1938 and worked right until the end of Trolleybuses in London. Sister Trolley 1253 has been preserved and can be seen in the London Transport museum.

With a bit of help from gurgle, we can see that the shop on Green Lanes has now been vacated. I understand the Brahams shop was there until quite recently. Route 269 is now covered by route 329. I'd love all that old Neon.

We used to get the 629.  "One and a half to the Nag's Head please," if I remember correctly.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service