Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As some of you may know, I have been lobbying for part of Alexandra Park to be leased to any company which is prepared to make a go of it as an equestrian centre.  The interest from the councillors on the AP Trust has left something to be desired but interest from us ordinary folks has been phenomenal.  We are holding a meeting in the Salisbury in Harringay (corner of Green Lanes & St. Ann's Road) on the evening of Wednesday 15th June and would welcome anyone who has ideas for furthering this project or who wants to show some support.  All are invited, especially Trust members but also Councillors who have an interest in diversifying Haringey's programmes for fitness, youth welfare and sports for the disabled. 
For those of you contemplating long drives out to Enfield to satisfy your kids' ambitions to ride, think how much more carbon- and time-efficient it would be to have riding right here in this borough.  We have cricket pitches, football fields, gymnasia, tennis courts and golf clubs mostly catering for sports dominated by men and boys.  While not exclusively for women, riding is a sport which appeals very strongly to girls and gives them a chance to shine.  It is an opportunity for all children to experience real adventure and is an especially effective exercise and psychological therapy for disabled people of all ages.  Why are the Council not making the most of their parkland resources to help it along?

If enough people turn up, maybe those councillors on the Trust might take some notice.
Feel free to circulate this.
Meeting is at 7.30pm. 
Any questions, ring Lydia 07711919167 or email: rideinharingey@btinternet.com
Please let me know if you are willing to take the minutes.  
Lydia Rivlin

Tags for Forum Posts: alexandra park, horse-riding, parks, riding

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I invited Matt Cooke to contact me about a walk round the park and to hear my plans for the school. 

He has not responded--not even with an acknowledgment of my mailing.

How many people turned up to your meeting on 15th June and what was the outcome ?
Do you think it's because you once stood for the Conservative party and he is being childishly tribal?

So when Matt writes

Now the time has come to engage with you again, and once more utilize your ideas, aspirations and passion for Alexandra Palace, to secure its future together with you as we move to stage two of this exciting project

you are slightly cynical?

It is also interesting to note that the council has taken Alexandra Palace and Park into its possession:

Council property open for tours this weekend includes:

• Alexandra Palace Park
  • Alexandra Palace television studios
  • Bruce Castle Museum
  • Tottenham Town Hall

It is, of course, quite conceivable that Mr Cooke is being "childishly tribal".  However, there might be an innocent explanation for his apparently total lack of interest in this idea and since I cannot get inside his head (nor would I wish to) I am unable to do more than speculate.

What I can say for sure is that *I* am ever so slightly cynical about pronouncements on the subject of local democracy and involvement and 'consultation' that exude from various Council committees and which in my opinion mean very little.  Anyone who has been in a tussle with the Council about CPZs would know exactly what I mean.

Interesting that Alexandra Park is now a Council possession.  Maybe that is because the Trust has so many councillors on the board that they have forgotten it is a separate entity.  Being the eternal fresh-faced optimist that I am, I have hopes that the new guv'nor taking office in October will remind them.

btw. I think it was 7 or 8 people who turned up at the meeting, which was very constructive.  Since then I have got the backing of the British Equestrian Federation, taken a couple of Friends of Alexandra Park on a tour and have asked Capel Manor if they might be interested in restarting any of their Stable Management courses in an Alexandra Park riding establishment.  They were delighted with the idea and said that they would indeed be interested, so this could have educational as well as social advantages for Haringey. 

But it really all boils down to the Trust.  If they say that in principle part of the park as an equestrian centre is a good idea, then we can start formulating a business plan.  But we cannot do much until we get some commitment from them.

I suspect they will not commit until you first come up with a commercial body ( like Firoka ? ) with a concrete proposal and a business plan.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service