Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A number of HOL contributors have suggested that there is a need for a Harringay Ladder Residents Association (RA) - in particular so that those residents can be represented on, or have access to, various Haringey Council Groups, such as the Finsbury Park Stakeholders Group; and can also present a united front to the Council on matters such as parking, rubbish collection, developments, etc as well as promoting appropriate cultural events.

Membership would presumably be open to residents aged over 16 within the following boundaries:

Green Lanes West, from Endymion Rd to Turnpike Lane

Turnpike Lane South, from Green Lanes to Wightman Rd 

Both sides of Wightman Rd and Alroy Rd

Endymion Rd

As a first step, it will be necessary to assemble a group of interested people to form an interim committee to discuss what form the RA should take and to agree a constitution, after which the RA can be formally established ( to be effective, an RA has to conform to various legal  requirements ) . It would be necessary at an early stage to consider whether the proposed Ladder RA would conflict with any other RAs in the catchment area.

I would like to hear from anyone who is prepared to take part in this initial work ( and it will involve work ) by email to macbeast76@hotmail.com,. Please give full name and your preferred email address and outline any special areas of expertise that could be useful to the RA.

If you have read this far, thank you for your interest

Tags for Forum Posts: residents association , ladder

Views: 2472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was at pains to make general points, rather than point any fingers.

Are you saying that the Gardens Residents' Association is represented on the LCSP? If that is the case, and I think that is a good thing, why not a Ladder RA?

-Michael,

I’m sorry you seem to be so in the dark about the LCSP, however, were you to type LCSP into the “search” box at the top of this page in the RH corner you would be rewarded with many articles about the LCSP, some of it’s activities and activities that it has been involved with. Like wise, if you access the “Local Info” underneath the HoL banner and then “Local Action Groups” you will see a list of local RAs including LCSP which will lead you to the HoL Wiki page for the LCSP  which includes some of it’s remit and the times and place of it’s regular meetings.

The LCSP predates HarringayonLine by a number of years and has a considerable membership list of Ladder residents who all receive a copy of the monthly agenda and minutes plus the Annual Report and AGM agenda where officers are elected for the following 12 months. This is imparted either via email or hand delivered depending on the member’s preference, - not everybody has internet access after all and LCSP tries to be inclusive. For example the Administrator of HoL receives the minutes, agendas annual reports and dates of the monthly meetings which LCSP thought he put in the “What’s On” section of HoL. From time to time LCSP activities are also reported in the local press.

I gave the example of giving out the contact details of the Neighbourhood Officer to members to try and demonstrate to you one of the methods that the problems of refuse can be dealt with. If you are having a problem with waste, please contact John, he is very friendly, sympathetic and only too willing to try and alleviate the problem. The Neighbourhood Officer regularly comes to LCSP meetings and refuse issues and other matters are discussed with him in a collective manner - however some folk like to get waste & fly-tipping dealt with asap which is why his contact details are given out. Waste matters are not generally discussed with the SNT (Police) rep. as that is not their remit. The LCSP invites the Neighbourhood Manager to the meetings so we can discuss with him where we think the refuse collection service might be improved because the LCSP believes it is within the remit of the Neighbourhood Manager.

The LCSP represents it’s members, it does not represent non-members, but membership is open as I said earlier to all residents of the Ladder, this is no different from any other RA or Friends of Group as far as I am aware. They represent their members. I’m not sure of the precise membership of the LCSP as I am not an officer, but I think the mailing list is quite long. When the LCSP writes to an external body it does carry some weight behind it, not always sure how much, but there it is, and it has gotten things done.

I don’t think HoL would purport to represent all the tens of thousands of people around the world who have signed up, particularly those who use a ‘handle’. Interestingly some LCSP members do not like to comment on HoL because they are afraid of being abused and insulted by some contributors, some have even left HoL because of this whilst others don’t want to try it. I know from experience of having been abused on HoL in the past, it is not very pleasant.

Everything published on HoL is I understand copyrighted, (please correct me if I’m wrong) and therefore anything published on HoL by the LCSP is owned by the holder of the copyright, not the LCSP which is one of the reasons the LCSP rarely posts on HoL.

By the way, I know many people in the Ladder community regularly get their hands dirty and don’t attend meetings, but some of them, if you chose to ask them, might very well admit to being members of LCSP.

I added that at the end of my original post to invite you in a friendly manner to a future LCSP meeting where you can join up so that you will be in the loop for the future, all that is asked is your name and address, (email as well if you want). After that you will be able to follow the LCSP’s activities via the agenda & minutes if you don’t wish or are unable to come to a meeting, however you can always write/email to the LCSP so that your point of view can be expressed on a topic that interests you by the chair (verbatim) during the monthly meeting or under the agenda heading of AOB - Any Other Business.

Again Peter, ask yourself why some people don't go to LCSP meetings anymore. If someone has been so upset by what has been posted on here then I'm sure Supt Lee Presland would just LOVE to issue them with a harassment notice.

- Again John,

I'm aware you know much more about this than I do, but as far as I know regarding your experience, that you are still innocent aren't you until some body pronounces otherwise? I was under the impression that your problem is related to Twitter.

People who don't attend LCSP have a multitude of reasons - however unless they request otherwise they still receive agendas, minutes & the annual report, so they stay abreast of what is occurring.

No Peter, much of what I have written ion HoL has been collected by Supt Presland as well as any tweeting I did. I a little offended that you didn't have a clearer picture of this issue. BTW, I was being facetious. Nobody wants more police involvement. In their neighbourhood discussions..

Not true re your last comment, John. PC Glynn Kelly was a true pioneer for the Met in his use of social media. In a piece of 2010 research I was involved in that was paid for by London Councils and supported by Cisco and Cap Gemini, amongst many other things, we looked at people's attitudes to the police on their local websites. 

Because of Glyn, HoL was unique in that it had a local beat bobby truly engaged on the site. He kept us all informed and responded to queries in a way that was pretty amazing. Taking three of London's biggest local websites, you can see the result of that in the graph below:

Contrast that with the results for the Council and councillors who at the time had been making little contribution on HoL (this was before the 2010 local elections). Look at the results for those groups on EDF where the inestimatable James Barber led the way for Councillor use of local forums. There was an almost precise correlation between the way a particular group used their local site and the improvement in the way that group was viewed by the site users.

Oh yes indeed. My bad. Glyn was amazing. Some of the guys on Twitter are pretty good too.

- John,

Sorry, no offence intended, and no I didn't know that 'old bill' was raking through HoL.

I wish you well in your trials & tribulations - I must have missed it all, I've been away so much.

Peter, no we don't post LCSP meetings in what's on; there's a limit to what we can do. Most events are posted by event organisers. You or one of the other regular attendees of the LCSP is welcome to do so. 

As to copyright, we certainly don't assert or seek to assert any copyright over material posted by anyone, other than occasionally that posted by us. In fact the opposite is true. You will see in our T&C that for legal reasons, we make it clear that we do not take responsibility for the content posted.

The following two clauses are the relevant ones:

1. We do not vet and are not responsible for any information which is posted on this site. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and we do not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information. The views expressed are those of the individual contributors and not necessarily those of the website.

2. Members permit Harringay Online to use, reproduce and modify any content placed on the site.

The second clause is a catchall, but as our practice will bear witness, if we ever seek to reuse content posted here, we always ask permission first.

- Jonny,

I think that would be an excellent item to either ask the chair or put forward for discussion at a future meeting.

The LCSP has done good work and it should be recognised for that. I hope as we go forward it can take a more of 'let a thousand flowers bloom' stance and see its way to welcoming other groups that seek to establish locally. It is no more the answer to everything local than is HoL.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service