Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads)

Apart from Adam Coffman was anyone else aware this work - removal of railings along Harringay Passage (at junctions with the roads) - was happening?

I know it was discussed at the first meeting of the Harringay Passage Group (yet to be constituted) in January, but wasn't aware a decision had been made between the council & a few residents that this work was to go ahead.

Views: 4712

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't aware Matt. I have mixed thoughts about this. I know it removes clutter and may improve access, but is it a good thing in terms of child safety? For instance on Falkland, the access point is pretty much in line with the passage, and the railings are in fairly good nick. What do you think?

PS - if you see them removing these ones, can you ask for the Falkland Road sign for me if they're not relocating it!

Is it all railings or just the redundant road furniture - the rusty ones from when the roads were two way? Because those redundant ones were meant to have been removed years ago at the change over of the roads and there was a contract to do so. I recall when Dasos saw the one in my street (now gone) he was fuming. 

All railings removed at passage junctions.

Falkland Rd railings were new-ish, as part of the re-landscaping of the tap-top design for the junction. The lay-out is now dangerous as a child or indeed adult may get hit by a vehicle. These changes make no sense for Falkland Rd at least. There was no consultation with residents or the school.

I don't think any residents were involved that I know of. This is nothing to do with the Friends of Harringay Passage who haven't even met formally yet. The Jan meeting was a discussion group. You need to ask Karen or David to find out what is happening and why. 

I have just spoken to the workmen who, through a series of ph nos., has lead me to the project engineer at the council in charge of the works. He says the works have come about through a Passage audit carried out with one Adam Coffman!

Would be good to know if a consultation was carried out. Does anyone know?

Well the one way system came about because of some black cab driver in Hampden Rd who wrote a lot of letters.

I don't remember seeing any correspondence or having been consulted on this other than is was vaguely discussed on one of the passage audits.  I am following this up with the council right now to try and establish what is going on, on whose authority and whether there was any consultation.

If there was any consultation, it was the best hidden ever.

Actually on a personal level I'll be glad to see the railings go, but I don't have any facts about the impact on child safety and of course that must take priority.

That's one helluva leap. Adam, Liz, Michael Anderson and I did an audit a year or so back. It was reported and uploaded on HoL. But as far as I'm aware nothing more was heard after it was submitted. Certainly none of us had any expectation that works would be carried out without wide consultation.

Adam and I had one follow up meeting with David Schmitz to pursue some more urgent things like missing street signs, but ditto what Hugh said re work that had more impact. That surely was the point of the FoHarringay Passage discussion group to see about involving people in the task of making the Passage and junctions on their streets better?

The changes to Falkland Rd have made it not only dangerous by pig ugly. It now looks ridiculous, a bit like the decision making by a few residents.

Matt, there was no "decision making by a few residents". Under the auspices of a broader Living Streets project the audit was organised to report on conditions along the passage and openly published here on HoL. Whilst recommendations were made, they were just that -recommendations. As far as I'm aware no one involved had any expectation that the Council would respond to the report by acting on its recommendations without wider consultation, let alone without even a word to the report authors.

You can read the report here. Also read what Michael wrote, you'll see that this was just intended to be the start of a process.

So, whilst the Council are to be applauded for being responsive, they do seem to have jumped the gun rather. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service