Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Having eaten in once before, we got a takeaway from Hanoi Pho on Green Lanes last night.

It was excellent! We had vegetable spring rolls, summer rolls, followed by sizzling chicken and  roast duck (both with rice and salad), and stir-fried aubergine with bean curd. Very tasty, with a fresh feel.

I mention it, because the place was empty, compared to the crammed Turkish restaurants, and I wish them more business and definite survival. They deserve it. For those who don't know, they already have a well-established restaurant in Hackney.

Hanoi Pho is at 1 Grand Parade, just next to the Salisbury pub.

Tags for Forum Posts: hanoi pho

Views: 3507

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What would be really helpful would be the publication of the actual inspection, or lack of inspection, or failure to submit paperwork, report so we can make a more informed judgement.

Sure, I'll be happy to ask when I next see her. I agree that this would be considerably fairer than giving a rating that could do serious reputational damage. I know I've avoided places in the past that had low scores that were (apparently) explained by this practice. 

Certainly seems odd that this category has been used in your example. I didn't know that was an option, which does beg a few questions...

I think it takes three years to qualify and at the end of it the wages are rubbish in the public sector esp. as pay hasn't kept anywhere near the rise in living costs. The big players like Westminster, who have a huge team because of all the West End premises, offer all sorts of premiums and bonuses so places like Haringey can't compete. The only short term solution is the extraordinarily expensive agency and consultancy staff, who can of course bugger off without notice if someone offers them more dosh

I've just submitted an FOI request to the council to see the report, which I think is publicly available. The report itself ought to clarify whether it has been inspected.

it looks pretty shabby, main reason i havent been yet and I was so excited to see a vietnemese restaurant was opening in the neighbourhood. Its also quite expensive compared to the viet restaurants I used to live near on kingsland rd.

It is a bit dark and gloomy. Someone seems to fancy themselves in the lighting design field.....but it hasn't really taken...

As someone who has been, I agree that there is work to be done on the atmosphere front.

The FSA website is really frustrating. It lists the rating and the inspection date but you can't access the report. I did at random check of other areas of London (like Camden High Street) and it's the same for all of them.
Sorry Alan, I couldn't follow on from your post as the thread was full

You say "I think professional staff should be and seen to be neutral. Whoever they're inspecting or enforcing against. And of course that includes the Council itself"

Surely that depends on the job they are doing. If they are being paid to attract business into the borough I would hope that they wouldn't be neutral! It would be a strange kind of economic development employee who said to a potential new business "Come to Haringey. It's not as good as Westminster but it not that bad". Surely, if they are trying to get a business to set up here, and they are in competition with other boroughs, they should go all out to draw them in.
Thanks for the link about the state aid rules. They say
"However, some state aid is beneficial to the economy and supports growth and other policy objectives. State aid can be given to support a wide variety of activities including research and development, environmental protection and aid for small to medium-sized businesses. The state aid rules allow for good aid, which is necessary to deliver growth and other important objectives"
So in effect you are questioning all the grant and loan giving to small and medium sized businesses carried out by the Greater London Authority (£20m announced in January), all local authorities and government departments even though EU law specifically allows this?
https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/new-20m-london-reg...
Alan, given that we have all heard all your views in excruciating detail dozens of times, do you think you could just lay off Chicken Town for a bit?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service