Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Questions for law enforcement re Womens Personal Safety in the area

Following a discussion with David Lammy's researcher Nora Mulready this afternoon about setting up a meeting with law enforcement around the issue of women's personal safety following the three rapes in recent months in the area, I have offered to collate questions for the police that can be passed on in preparation for the meeting.

So far I have picked up 12 clear questions from the Street Harrassment reports thread which are attached as a document

Questions for law enforcement2.doc

This document has now been sent on to David Lammy's office who will endeavour to get answers to our questions. We'll keep you posted.

UPDATED 8 March 2010

Questions

Tags for Forum Posts: personal safety, women

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The March monthly meeting of the LCSP is taking place at St. Paul's Church Hall at the top of Cavendish Rd., on Thursday 11th, starting at 7pm.

The SNT send a representative, who usually deliver their report near the beginning of the meeting after which there is a discussion of any issues raised. It is open to all Ladder residents to attend.

Further details here + agenda.
Thank you to all those that have contributed to telling us where and when we can find SNT, we are aware of these times and dates, and also of when the street briefings and surgeries are which were the meetings with SNT we were planning to attend.

However, as a matter of courtesy to them and to allow them time to prepare, we think it a good idea to let them know we are coming and the number of people who may attend. Nora is liaising with the Police and I have full confidence in her abilities to judge where and when the best time to meet them are. Those who have expressed a wish to come with us, I will be in touch.

Peter, while I appreciate that the LCSP often have a member of the SNT there, it is not always the case that they can come at all and often cancel at short notice or a less senior member of the team comes along who cannot really give full information about someone's concerns. This has happened on a number of occasions when I have attended meetings.

Matt, we would be grateful if you would write up a report of what is said at the ward meetings or post a copy of the minutes if that is appropriate. The more that we know about what is being said on this issue to residents the better.

Yes, I would urge anyone who wants to raise these points to attend the meetings posted above and put your comments to the police. The more times they hear it the better since SNT recently informed Nora that they had had no intelligence that women's safety was an issue in the area.

I take your point re the Borough Commander, John, and David Lammy's office is writing to him to press for answers to our questions. We have not given up on tackling him about our concerns.
"as a matter of courtesy to them and to allow them time to prepare, we think it a good idea to let them know we are coming and the number of people who may attend"

If police don't know that there's growing local concern about women's safety, the bigger the turn-out for this the better. It's great that Nora's still pushing for this, but can you keep all of us posted, Liz? Thx, Kit
I will, yes Kit.

What I mean by prepare, is that they are able to collate information on say reported incidents of harrassment before the event. Sometimes in LCSP meetings if you spring a question that requires some stats for example, they, understandably, haven't got them to hand.

By setting it up so they know what the topic is we can ensure fuller answers but as was flagged up earlier, there is a meeting tomorrow of the Ladder Community Safety Partnership at 7.30. I won't be able to go but anyone is welcome to go along and raise concerns with the police officer present. It would be useful if anyone does go (Peter?), if you can let us know what they say.
btw I think I should clarify that the LCSP meeting is the only one that is open to the public. The Ward panel meeting is not but I'm sure if you ask Matt to raise any specific questions he will endeavour to get you an answer.

There have been a number of good points raised in relation to the Borough Commander's statement. If you wish to send those comments forward to Dave Grant, you can email haringeyborough@met.police.uk and your comments will be brought to his attention.
What is the LCSP?
The Ladder Community Safety Partnership explains what it does here
(plaintively and apropos de rien): I do wish people on this site would desist from towing lines - conformist, predictable, party or wha'ever) and commence toeing said lines. In navy or sailing usage, perhaps, 'lines'(=ropes) might conceivably be towed.
You've lost me OAE...to what are you referring in particular, or is this a bit of comment in red ink at the bottom of an essay
Ian Sygrave, chair of the Ladder Community Safety Partnership aka. LCSP will have personal safety alarms available for any who want them, free of charge at the meeting tomorrow evening March 11th, details here.

Pauline Sydell, Borough Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator will be present, and PC Glyn Kelly from the SNT is expected to attend as well.

As Liz stated earlier, this is an open, public meeting for anybody who wishes to attend
Great. Are the alarms the ones the SNT (Safer Neighbourhoods Team, i.e. local police) are giving out or do they come from elsewhere?
Yes, they are.

Just thought that if anyone wanted one quickly, it would be a handy palce to pick one up.

If any members can't make the LCSP meeting & still want one, please let me know,(private message if you want) and I'll do my best to get one for them.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service