Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Students at Hornsey School for Girls staged a sit down protest against the education cuts in their playground this morning. The school gates were then locked and no-one was being allowed to leave. The police were also called.

Several students who left earlier were approached by the police at Turnpike Lane station who were asking which school they attended and where they were going and why.

(thanks to Andy for this info)

Tags for Forum Posts: education_cuts, hornsey_school_for_girls, public spending cuts

Views: 978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

> .... some listening and learning would be helpful.

Alan, don't assume others commenting here haven't done that already.
And as events unfold, we have to continue to do that, Matt. The danger is a closed mind - from either the Left or Right of politics.
OK Will, I give up. Before you go slagging off any more students please sort out your word processor and your English for submitting posts like this to HoL. Grammatically correct and properly spelled nastiness has my grudging admiration.
Well that implies that you are being as careless as you are sometimes thoughtless. Do what you like, I have no trouble understanding you at all, I just thought it was not very classy berating students considering you couldn't be bothered to check what you had written.
Taking your daughter's story as read, it's obvious the police over reacted and probably as a consequence of being caught off guard at the first demo. Cameron must have been highly embarrassed to see his party HQ under attack while he was overseas shaking the hands of the chinese dictator Hu Jintao.

I agree with Liz, we should all be down there. I wonder how many parents with kids trapped within this protest went down to Whitehall to remonstrate with the police - now that would have been interesting.
I didn't go but some friends did (including some who are parents of teenagers affected by the increase in fees)
Their experiences sound similar to Michelle's daughter in that they were kettled near Whitehall until 8.30pm with no water and no toilets (except a cafe which opened its doors for the protestors to use the toilets- it did a roaring trade to its captive audience, selling out of most food)
They said many of the teenagers were freezing (due to that teenager habit of not wearing a coat) and the police kept telling them they would be let out in half an hour- but were kept there for eight hours.
They said they saw little violence until the end when people were very tired, cold, hungry and bored.
Nout wrong with a bit of civil disobedience, it's better than double Art History!
You'll like this then, Birdy.
Sheffield Occupation Tumblr

One thing that social media faciilitates is that both the establishment view and the view from the protesters can be accessed as the Sheffield students have demonstrated. So you can do your listening and learning from both sides of the argument equally
The Education Activist Network (EAN), which helped organised yesterday's protest, also said a follow-up day of action is being planned for next Tuesday, billing it as a national student strike.

The Metropolitan Police Commissioner expects to see more of the same on London's streets.

BBC
Matt, the beauty of the title of your original post is that it has just enough ambiguity to allow us punters to turn this "discussion" into one of the most indigestible stews HOL has ever served up.
Pity any poor student who's looking for enlightenment from us.
*cough* Adam is the original poster
Oh cough cough and splutter indeed. Adam and Matt, conjoined apologies. My old mate Al Zheimer knocking at my door again. Soon things will be simpler, when all my senior moments join up in one smooth uninterrupted network. So glad I'll never be in danger of taking my £80K life savings out of my mattress for safer storage on my car roof. (That's right, I've never owned a mattress.)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service