Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Project Freesheet-ridding the streets of free newspapers

Had enough of clearing free papers off the seats of buses before you sit down, of wading ankle deep through Metros and London Lites in tube carriages. of seeing stations strewn with newspaper?
Well Project freesheet would agree with you.

They argue that the clear up costs you money and that very few of them make it into recycling facilities. The resources taken to produce them are wasteful and bad for the environment.

They encourage you to upload pictures to their website of freesheet litter and have a Project freesheet Flickr group as well as hosting a forum

But their main message is Refuse the Freesheet in the first place...

Tags for Forum Posts: Free papers, freesheets, litter

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for this link, Liz. Here's another link from Alenka a Russian-born resident of Amsterdam. She describes (on the Project Freesheet Flickr site you give) what's happening in Amsterdam.
Is there anyone with any Amsterdam or other Dutch contacts who may be willing to post more information on this?

For me it all reinforces the idea that there are thousands of good ideas 'out there' for tackling litter and dumping, increasing recycling, and persuading people to change their behaviour. (Alenka says the Amsterdam schemes give people electronic credits.) We need to plug into this; pick-n-mix; and experiment for what works best in London and Haringey. (And Harringay, of course!)

Liz, would you have time to send Alenka a Flickrmail?
INTERESTING. The worst offender locally is of course the unsolicited and largely unwanted Haringey People publication from the council. Does anyone else get multiple copies force-fed through their letterbox?

HP typically does not end up in the street, but goes unread, unused and quickly ends up as landfill or recycling. Does the useful information in Haringey Pravda People comprise as much as 10% of it?

At least the free newspapers are not full of tenditious quasi-political propaganda. Although we pay for their sweeping up, we do not pay for the paper itself, it being paid for by advertising (NB. I hold no brief for these free-sheets, just comparing it with another unpaid-for freeshit).

I am given to understand that advertising in Haringey Pravda is particularly expensive – and I have that from an arm of the council that had better remain nameless. Members of the "Cabinet" "Executive" of course are not charged for their publicity photos (again and again), which is free to them, but costs all rate-payers.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service