Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The poppy seller out at this time of year was a familiar sight when I was young and you often saw the tins and boxes in shops and community places like schools, but so far I've seen no where in Harringay selling them (I got mine on a day trip out).

Has anyone been able to buy a poppy locally?

Royal British Legion

Views: 132

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Deborah,

Can I suggest outside Sainsbury's Harringay for next year. Also, you could drop off a money box and poppies to reception at North Harringay Primary, Falkland Rd if you like.
No, I seen no sellers in Haringay at all. Not even outside Sainsbury's. Maybe, it has no meaning here for the majority of residents.
Maybe sadley not. If anyone wants to help, just contact the British Legion as i have done and they will deliver a box and tin or you can collect it from them. You can do street collections or if you have a business or school as was mentioned before it can be displayed on the premises
Deborah
I've seen poppies on sale inside shops. Maybe nobody wants to stand outside on the street with a collecting tin for fear of being mugged.
No, it is the lack of any British Legion clubs locally (none on Wood GReen, Tottenham and now Hornsey). They would normally organise the collectors, supply them with poppies and collecting tins, deliver to shops, schools etc and then collect it all in, count it, bank it etc. To cover an area like Hornsey for example takes many weeks of work for a team of people. Once the clubs close the Legion has no local group to work through. With lack of support from younger ex service people clubs lose revenue and cannot afford to carry on. Very sad and nationally teh Legion seem to be taking little interest when, for example, a whole borough, loses all its Legion clubs and therefore collectors. Many tens of thousands of £s will be lost to a very good cause.
I found this when i wanted to volunteer. So i went online and volunteered and they contact me every year to see if i am available. This seems to be the way to do it now, all i can say is that it is very worthwhile and i enjoy talking to people who buy the poppies off me, they are from all walks of life and all ages, it is a priveledge to do. So anyone who has time next year just log onto the British Legion Website.

Kind Regards
Deborah

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service