Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The poppy seller out at this time of year was a familiar sight when I was young and you often saw the tins and boxes in shops and community places like schools, but so far I've seen no where in Harringay selling them (I got mine on a day trip out).

Has anyone been able to buy a poppy locally?

Royal British Legion

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't seen any around but there are loads at the central London tube stations so I grabbed one there. I guess they focus their volunteers at the places with the highest footfall to make the best use of their time.
I think you're right, Pip, and the effort seems to have paid off since the RBL have raised over a quarter of a million pounds from their collecting in the City and the train stations. BBC report here
Afghan farmer: ''Why are you burning my crops ?''.
British soldier (wearing a poppy): ''Because Poppies are bad''.
Thank you James, your answer to my question as pertinent as ever.
I think my post is pertinent because it questions the whole issue of wearing a poppy. The quote was from a BBC news item and i did not make it up. If you're offended by my post i apologise.
There's a new place to buy in town:

This is mainly due to closure of Hornsey British Legion and their organiser for last 6 years giving up teh role due to lack of appreciation and support (locally and centrally). her team used to cover Hornsey, Crouch End, Harringay, parts of Wood gReen and Tottenham and some central London train stations raising average £30,000 a year. I saw a chap outside Budgens in Crouch End today.
There was a very brave ex-serviceman standing selling poppies in the freezing wind opposite M&S Muswell Hill yesterday. I did ask in W H Smith if they were selling poppies but the assistant just stared at me :-)
Call me pedantic but I'm not sure they should be called poppy sellers. Are poppies sold? I have always thought the box was for donations. You give what you can.
Well the BBC goes with poppy seller so I'll stick with it

The origins of poppy selling
David Cameron wears a poppy during DIPLOMATIC visit to china. Oh Dear me !
I have been out selling them for the last two weeks and was going to include Wood Green, but as i work in Soho i was asked to target this area which i did. Hopefully some of the shops, Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer's put boxes out, maybe next year in will spend a day in Wood Green and see how i get on.
Deborah

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service