Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Political Parties Posting on HoL in the Run-up to Local Elections

This year I haven't had the same amount of time to give to the local elections as I did in 2010. So it'l be DIY. A couple of the local parties have already asked me what they can post on HoL. Here's where I think I'm at:

1. Each party may add one forum post outlining their policies and answering questions from others on HoL. Following the initial post, any additional comment candidates from that party want to make should be made as comments to the party thread. Harringay has three wards. There will be one thread per party to cover all wards.

2. No party representative or prospective councillor may comment on the other parties' threads. 

Tags for Forum Posts: 2014 elections

Views: 2660

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't mind Seema's flirtatious remarks at all - I find them mildly amusing.

But it crossed my mind - what would happen if a male adopted the same style and used similar innuendo in replying to a woman ? I suspect there would be a lot of huffing from the HOLerettes.

What do you think sweetie ?

"what would happen if a male adopted the same style and used similar innuendo"

Mr. D (and everyone else) -- Seema's constant suggestiveness is sexual harrassment, plain and simple and it does not matter if the subjects of her innuendos regard them as intimidatory or not.  She is using this technique to mask the barrenness of her argument by encouraging others to focus on her challengers as sexual objects instead of as minds.

Without doubt, if that sort of attitude was displayed by a Conservative, Ms. Chandwani would be in a feather-spluttering paroxysm of OUTRAGE about it.

But she's a Labour supporter, so that's all right, then.

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative Candidate for Harringay Ward.

My darling Lydia

Just when I think you cannot be any more amusing, you come back with more material.

Thank you once again for entertaining me so much. I can't believe this is free.... I've paid good money to see some comedians in the past, and none have made me laugh as much as you.

S x

Hi John D

I think most "mature" people, who have a life, do not to take banter on the internet too seriously & wouldn't huff. Those people know it's a bit of tongue and cheeky, like you for example 'sweety' who finds it amusing as is it's intention.

There are some however who, well HoL probably has contributed to their high blood pressure as they don't have the mental capacity to retain their composure and take it toooo seriously. Like you can feel the sense of a heart attack as you read their words!

So flirt away, just be mindful of those who you kill off in the process. 

"do not to take banter on the internet too seriously"

I take sexual harrassment very seriously, Seema.  And I am sure we are all very much aware of the "c'mon, darlin', can't you take a joke?" response of the bog-standard harrasser -- a defence to which you now seem to be resorting  (bog-standard as ever, Seema).  Such stuff used to be an effective escape.  Thank God, nowadays it is not fobbed off so easily.

I don't like the way you make sexual references to the men and I certainly do not like the way you made sexual reference to me.  Sexual harrassment is not at all funny.  In fact it is sickening, which is what I told you in my last post.  I tried to keep that fairly light hearted but realise now that you are completely unable to see the inappropriateness and the indecency of your conduct.  You have stepped across a line. 

So, leaving levity aside, I am telling you that if you repeat any more of this thoroughly creepy behaviour I shall be raising complaints, certainly with the webmaster and perhaps even at a broader level. 

FYI, I am keeping a screenshot of our conversation. 

Is that clear enough for you?  Control yourself.

Sorry Lydia, I'm a bit confused now. Is *this* your promised Manifesto?

"Lydia, I'm a bit confused now. Is *this* your promised Manifesto?"

Actually, Sharon, prior to this conversation I would have thought people in Harringay would consider sexual harrassment so beyond the pale that actually putting into a manifesto an uncompromising stance against it would be as superfluous as a pledge for the notion that our planet is roughly spherical. 

It appears, though that as there are some who still believe the earth is flat, there are others who believe that libidinous insults are acceptable artillery when they are on the losing side of an argument.

btw. I know you are not really confused, Sharon, but can it truly be that you are unable to see what Seema is doing wrong, and how corrosive this sort of talk is to any productive debate?

Dear Lydia

LOL! 

You are most definately the funniest person I have ever met. Please, I beg you tell me you are getting a TV show. 

Would you like a folder for your screenshots? I got a nice one I could give you... 

Thank you once again Lydia, you are just such a talented comedian and I am your biggest fan! 

LOL @ "control yourself"....  Love it!

Hope you had a great day.

S

Lydia, Yes, of course I was joking around but come on!...Can't you see that this is just a bit of post modern feminist banter? You are sexually threatened by Seema? Really? *Really*? You know that sexual politics have moved on since the Fort...Four years that you were in Uni? Come on! Buck up Lass, let's see your Manifesto!

Lydia, I have stayed out of this because I think anyone getting involved can only look bad. Against my better judgement, here I go:

Men actually like that kind of banter directed at them. Some idiots make the mistake of thinking women like back. They don't. There is a power imbalance and it's therefore intimidating and yes, sexual harassment when men do it to women.

Accusing Seema of sexual harassment belittles the plight of Laura Bates and the everydaysexism movement. It's not symmetrical.

Dear Lydia

You are so funny when you resort to personal attacks. I love it. You're great comedy value.

Have a great day!

S

Ps: I well fancy you, i bet you give great kisses. Maybe soon i'll find out? Mwah ;)

"I well fancy you, i bet you give great kisses. Maybe soon i'll find out? Mwah"

My husband will be very annoyed with you for that one.  He frequently complains I am too thin and now you've gone and put me off my lunch.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service