Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Political Parties Posting on HoL in the Run-up to Local Elections

This year I haven't had the same amount of time to give to the local elections as I did in 2010. So it'l be DIY. A couple of the local parties have already asked me what they can post on HoL. Here's where I think I'm at:

1. Each party may add one forum post outlining their policies and answering questions from others on HoL. Following the initial post, any additional comment candidates from that party want to make should be made as comments to the party thread. Harringay has three wards. There will be one thread per party to cover all wards.

2. No party representative or prospective councillor may comment on the other parties' threads. 

Tags for Forum Posts: 2014 elections

Views: 2667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seema, I really don't know where to stand with you. Am I right in saying you are chairman of the Haringey Labour Party? If so, what is with such irrelevant disclaimers - which have nothing to do with this post! I would have thought that a party chairman would be more sensible and make relevant comments but clearly this is not the case with Haringey Labour!

Then you make another comment like, "Its ok Sharon, whatever I have to say... I've a feeling you'll say what I am thinking!" in response to "Groan...We have to listen to Lydia all over again? ;-)" , now how disrespectful is that?

And besides, from the comments I see you and many Haringey Labour activists making on twitter, it makes you guys so unattractive to us voters, and so unappealing to left wing voters who had considered voting for you.

Hi Jerry,

In response to your specific points:

• You don't have to stand anywhere with me Jerry. I am not standing for public office.
  • If you don't like my disclaimers, don't digest them when you see them. 
  • There are lines which show what posts are responded to what on HoL. You can clearly see that Sharon made a post about Lydia which I have NOT responded to. Sharon then made a response to me which I did respond to. Mine and Sharon's responses to each other were not related to Lydia or a post about Lydia in anyway.
  • I await your apology for your misunderstanding and if I don't get one then "how disrepectful is that?" (i'll get over it!)
  • If you have a problem with "Haringey Labour" you are entitled to that opinion. 
  • To come on here pulling me up on personally attacking politicians (which you were mistaken on), but then personally attacking me seems odd. But as you were.
  • If you follow me on Twitter, then you would rarely see me attacking local politicians on my feed. In fact I had a lovely conversation with Karen yesterday about... [drum roll] cameras as we both do photography.

Exercise your right to criticise policy and if needs be, the people who are putting themselves forward to represent you. But do so factually based.

Lastly, for the record I am not the "Chairman of Haringey Labour" - I am the Secretary of Tottenham Labour, elected by local members to represent them and not the public. I have no public role or responsibility for the party.  But if I did, to be honest, I'll still be the same person. 

If you need to know anything else about me, just ask! 

I hope you have a lovely evening. 

Disclaimer: I am someone who preferred Tom to Jerry ;)

Jerry, I was joking around as indicated by the . I'm also very much enjoying Seema's tongue in cheek sign offs.

Sharon & Seema, there are guys like Jerry who are not fit to be let out among the ironies and joshing of this world. Not sure that he's been weaned off the Cow&Gate or Farex yet. A long time afore he's fit for real porridge. But he'll never get there if you are too gentle with him.

To be fair, he makes some valid points about how personal things are getting between people on Twitter (although it is not only one party or one way - so he was not entirely correct). 

I understand political policy differences, but some of it is getting beyond politics and a bit weird... I guess this is one of the first real local elections where Twitter is at its peak, 2010 would not really have a social media aspect to it.

It is tiring to stand for election and I assume stressful. Some people are probably more on edge then usual. 

Roll on 23rd May... normality will resume and OAP will realise he was mistaken about being married and by June, I will be Mrs OAP!! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

(Making a sari out of net curtains as we speak! - Lets do this!) 

"Seema, I really don't know where to stand with you. Am I right in saying you are chairman of the Haringey Labour Party?"

I am also of the opinion that an office holder in any local party should come clean about the affiliation when they are voicing or criticising political opinions.

However the jocular confessions in Seema's sign-offs are rather fun, too.  I would not say they are exactly irrelevant, they are also quite revealing.  Apparently Seema prefers Tom to Jerry: Tom being the aggressive but rather dim bully of the odd couple, who despite his apparent physical superiority is constantly outwitted by a smaller, nimbler and vastly more adaptable mouse. 

As a writer I have to warn Seema that all sorts of personal junk tends to leak out in the process of creative thought.  Unused as she evidently is to this type of badinage, it may be a good strategy during the election runup to take refuge behind her wall of politico-speak, lest another accidental revelation lets an even more embarrasing Tom out of the bag.

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative candidate, Harringay Ward

Dear Lydia

Thank you very much for the psychodynamic assessment. I know you are busy fighting an election so appreciate you found time to give me this life changing analysis. 

I hope the campaigning is going well and I cannot wait to meet you in person on the 22nd May. 

S

"Thank you very much for the psychodynamic assessment."

I wouldn't pretend to such a big word, Seema. "Psychodynamic" refers to the psychological study of how childhood experiences might affect libido in the mature individual.  I really do not believe you meant that, unless you have more of a thing about cartoon cats than would be considered healthy.  What I was doing was simple textual analysis.

Thanks for your good wishes about the campaign, which is going splendidly.  The residents we meet on the doorstep are all polite, whatever their political opinions, and we are getting requests for posters even without having to make sarky comments to the other HoL correspondents.

cheers

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative candidate, Harringay Ward.

I'm sure you're not suggesting that Seema goes in for tomming ?

"I'm sure you're not suggesting that Seema goes in for tomming?"

Good gracious no, Mr. D.  It never occurred to me.  Even if it had, I would have more sense than to court the displeasure of the Mighty Hugh.

However, while reading your posting, it did occur to me that, as with Tom's constantly frustrated hunting of the edible Jerry, Haringey Labour's unremitting war on car owners still leaves the Council with nothing in the kitty.

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative candidate, Harringay Ward.

Dear Lydia,

I fear you maybe mistaken. I have left you some references to explain the Psychodynamic theory below.

This approach stresses the importance of the unconscious and past experience in shaping current behaviour.  - British Association for Counselling and Psychotheraphy (BACP)

Psychodynamic (psychoanalytic) psychotherapy – a psychoanalytic therapist will encourage you to say whatever is going through your mind. This will help you to become aware of hidden meanings or patterns in what you do or say. - NHS Choices England

Whilst you are right that Freud and his psychosexual theory is also a form of psychodynamic therapy, it is one of many forms of psychodynamic therapy. I feel my use of citing the psychodynamic model given your point was around the hidden meaning and subconscious was accurate. 

If you wish to know any more about psychology, maybe after the election you can come around for coffee and I can dig out my old books from when I studied a degree in Psychology - although I see you have had your degree a lot longer than me, so I am prepared to learn

I am glad you are being greeted with politeness, hopefully some of it will rub off on you. 

I hope you have had a lovely day, despite the rain. 

Sx

Oh Seema, what a lot of guff, and some barely disguised ageism as well. 

The first is transparent blah and the second is only to be expected from someone who also regularly uses amorous innuendo as a means of undermining the comments of male contributors to this site.  The men are polite enough to pretend that this is not happening.  As you have noted -- I am not hindered by politeness in the face of such crudity.  The maturity to which you refer has taught me that deference to barbarism is a waste of will power.

I don't have to squabble with you, Seema.  Every time you put finger to keyboard you do the work for me.

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative Candidate for Harringay Ward.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service