Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The development of the Industrial site by Hornsey Station has been in the offing for a number of years now. 

The initial planning application for a very ugly nine story building was rejected in 2014. The new application sees an additional five stories being added to the building, giving 176 flats in a towering 14 storey building. One of the early objectors to the application as described the planned building as a "mammoth multi-storyed building".

The objector may have a point. Even the developers say that the building's 'zone of visual influence will stretch for over a mile in every direction. (Click the picture for a magnified view)

Rather misleadingly, the developer's brochure still features a rather neat and compact looking nine storey building on its front page.The reality will be more like the picture at the top of this page. 

From reading the application, we learn that:

The Site would be a notable departure from this character type but is compatible with broad policy objectives of delivering a mixed use residential led scheme and optimising potential.

Due to the site’s separate nature and prevailing land use, the height and mass would have no harmful effects on this area. There would be a high degree of change and the proposal would result in a moderate beneficial effect on this part of the townscape.

This area has a low sensitivity to changes to the townscape and is located on the north side of the New River. It is a predominantly residential area characterised by mid-late 20th century buildings of 3-7 storeys which are of no particular architectural merit and have larger footprints than the residential areas dating from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

There that told ya dinnit. Is this just planner clumsiness or has it anything to do with the fact that the whole visual impact assessment is made on the following basis:

The application Site is located within the Wood Green area, but immediately adjoins the Hornsey area.

Just laziness on the part of the consultants who drew up the assessment, or is there anything else to this, I wonder?

I have attached two of the developer's documents below. These show a range of views from Hornsey and a couple from Raleigh and Hampden and Fairland, but no views from elsewhere on the Ladder. Again, I wonder why Harringay's part has been so obviously underplayed.

You can read the voluminous planning application on the Haringey Council website.

You can support or object to the application by submitting comments online using the button on the planning application page.

All comments will be taken into consideration but those made in reference to specific council policies will carry much more weight. To make life easier for you, please take a look at a summary I did of the relevant policies for the previous planning application. You might also link to the reasons that the last application was rejected - linked to above.

All comments must be submitted by 20th June 2016.

Thanks to Charlotte and Quentin for flagging-up this latest application.

Tags for Forum Posts: hampden road, hampden road development

Views: 4531

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh look.  Tottenham Hale Starchitects think that adding a pitched roof to a 21-storey tower will fool us into thinking it's just a very tall house.

And our supine council sips from the same tub of KoolAid.

That looks like something from the Eighties.

They should take my advice - offered for free six years ago. Show that it's a traditional olde English village.
Thatch

Ah so that's why you grew a beard.....

I wonder where all these people are going to go.  Trains, tubes and buses are at braking point, its virtually impossible getting a GP appointment and you have to travel for a dentist.  Then there are schools, etc. etc. and all they seem to offer is retail space which I doubt we need with dying high streets.  14 stories is soooo tall and so out of keeping with the area.  I feel sorry for the people in Denmark Road (their housing replaced a high rise). I have no faith in our council and planning.  The people who stand to gain have the money to fight and the people who will loose don't.

A post about the outcome of this development added here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service