Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The development of the Industrial site by Hornsey Station has been in the offing for a number of years now. 

The initial planning application for a very ugly nine story building was rejected in 2014. The new application sees an additional five stories being added to the building, giving 176 flats in a towering 14 storey building. One of the early objectors to the application as described the planned building as a "mammoth multi-storyed building".

The objector may have a point. Even the developers say that the building's 'zone of visual influence will stretch for over a mile in every direction. (Click the picture for a magnified view)

Rather misleadingly, the developer's brochure still features a rather neat and compact looking nine storey building on its front page.The reality will be more like the picture at the top of this page. 

From reading the application, we learn that:

The Site would be a notable departure from this character type but is compatible with broad policy objectives of delivering a mixed use residential led scheme and optimising potential.

Due to the site’s separate nature and prevailing land use, the height and mass would have no harmful effects on this area. There would be a high degree of change and the proposal would result in a moderate beneficial effect on this part of the townscape.

This area has a low sensitivity to changes to the townscape and is located on the north side of the New River. It is a predominantly residential area characterised by mid-late 20th century buildings of 3-7 storeys which are of no particular architectural merit and have larger footprints than the residential areas dating from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

There that told ya dinnit. Is this just planner clumsiness or has it anything to do with the fact that the whole visual impact assessment is made on the following basis:

The application Site is located within the Wood Green area, but immediately adjoins the Hornsey area.

Just laziness on the part of the consultants who drew up the assessment, or is there anything else to this, I wonder?

I have attached two of the developer's documents below. These show a range of views from Hornsey and a couple from Raleigh and Hampden and Fairland, but no views from elsewhere on the Ladder. Again, I wonder why Harringay's part has been so obviously underplayed.

You can read the voluminous planning application on the Haringey Council website.

You can support or object to the application by submitting comments online using the button on the planning application page.

All comments will be taken into consideration but those made in reference to specific council policies will carry much more weight. To make life easier for you, please take a look at a summary I did of the relevant policies for the previous planning application. You might also link to the reasons that the last application was rejected - linked to above.

All comments must be submitted by 20th June 2016.

Thanks to Charlotte and Quentin for flagging-up this latest application.

Tags for Forum Posts: hampden road, hampden road development

Views: 4531

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

52 parking spaces?. -  This won't go down well with the 'North Harringay Republic',  besides you wont be able to get cars into the site once they've blocked and pedestrianised that end Wightman Road.

Just being flipant folks!!

Developers' (and colluding councillors') disingenuous cheating with perspective is nothing new.  The plans for Apex House, which of course puts your 14-storey mammoth into the category of Tiny, all used wide-angle views that diminished the appearance of the 23-storey monster.  We challenged this at the planning meeting but were told that they use 'standard' CAD tools to draw their plans.  You bet they do.

I recon Mammoth is a pretty good description - 14 stories (approx 70 meters) on elevated ground - is pretty tall compared to the buildings in the surrounding area. I wonder how all these people will squeeze on to the train at Hornsey in the mornings, find a GP, a dentist, go to school.... 

On the above picture you cannot see the tall building.  I don't think Fairview is very proud of it given how quietly and badly timed their exhibition was.

LBH failed to take up my April 2013 proposal to name their Dylan Thomas House replacement as Under Milk Wood. I see now that they're naming their new sky-rise village in the Hampdens the more dylanesque 'Llareggub' or Bugger All. While we may all feel well and truly buggered by Fairview and LBH, the one upside is that nobody can ever again claim that Wightman Road is not residential.

The comments are starting to come in on the council's website.

One woman is disarmingly frank- "I am concerned with the adverse impact of property values".

Another contributor, generally supportive, raises the question as to whether the low buildings could be on the Hampden Road frontage. That seems a reasonable question and worthy of a considered reply.

Another person who makes sensible comments also tells them
"--a website in Haringay(!) is trying to stir up objections". Oh dear!

Would you characterise your summary of comments as representative, Stuart?

Since anyone who wishes can read the comments on the Council's planning website for themselves, comments on other people's comments seems a little redundant.

Though of course, I would always make an exception for OAE who at least lives nearby and is thoughtful, erudite and witty.

They were worthy of comment I thought. Many of the others were of the type that come up on every single application, which I will summarise as -"I don't like tall buildings", "We're full up here now, pull up the drawbridge!", "other people's cars are a nuisance".

However, I hope HoL locals will comment on the complaint from the Mosque about the car trips the development will generate. My understanding is that the Mosque generates a great deal of traffic on Wightman Road.

Now you're just trolling, Stuart. 

I hope HoL locals will not take your comment seriously.

I DONT LIKE TALL BUILDINGS.  There we are Mr Matheson.  This is a residential area - you can put tall or even 'mammoth' building in the City of London if you wish - but in an area of Victorian low rise residential streets - - a great huge tower - blocks out the light, casts deep shadows, overlooks other people's homes and gardens and is ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE to a residential area (albeit of 'low architectural interest' or whatever the rubbish phrase was - bloody cheek to local people I call it).  I find your remarks summarising local people's objections both patronising and insulting as if you have superior knowledge and know better. 

I don't think they are talking about the Victorian streets - "  characterised by mid-late 20th century buildings of 3-7 storeys which are of no particular architectural merit "

They must be talking about Shopping City and the New River development.

I live on the corner of Hampden and Wightman Rd. As I look out of my window I have a less-than-delightful view of the railway workshops with their portacabin offices, skips and rusty containers. Further to the right is the scruffy Inspace building and the derelict-looking Wilmot Dixon premises, the latter crowned with cellphone antennas and the associated equipment. Then there is the industrial RSJ steel fabrication yard.

Frankly, the proposed building could only be an improvement.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service