Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Has anyone been having any issues with people going through their bins? We're on Roseberry Gardens and have twice asked people (one man, one woman) to stop rifling through our bins.

Today someone has come and removed our bin bags from the wheelie bins and torn them open.

Thanks,

Tags for Forum Posts: theft from dustbins

Views: 3690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm. Grey indeed. If I've put it in a bin It is because I wish the council to remove it therefore it would be odd to call myself deprived of it if someone other than the council took it.

To me throwing something away is an active declaration that I no longer wish to own it yet at the same time I do so with a supposed knowledge of where it will end up.

In the current situation it is for me about what the act of searching ones trash implies. Without connecting evidence I shouldn't assume such a person would be more or less of a threat to my property or person than anyone else but it is hard not to think in that way.

When I next witness it I intend to ask them what they are seeking and why.
That sounds like a good idea, but I bet they will think you are a complete weirdo and will run away.
Culture clash.

Good idea, Jon, as long as communication is kept on a friendly/inquisitive level.  Or at least kept non-aggressive.  In my experience, nothing is ever achieved by fear and anger.  Hackles are raised immediately - and that applies to any culture.  If I were doing it, I'd try to smile, hard as that may be.

If the few people that are terrorising green lanes were tagged with a good GPS System for seven years after they got caught for their last bout of prolific offending, green lanes wouldn't have too much to worry about right now.

People are crazy, they let the criminals that ruin many peoples lives literally walk around free and then vote for governments which listen and read every private thought they have.

You don't change the body to deal with the cancer, you need to isolate and remove the cancer then leave the body entirely as it is. The cancer here is learnt opportunity, we need to remove that surgically at the base of the problem, in a humane way.

I don't think anyone on this forum begrudges their useful jetsam going to someone who can use it, rather than to landfill but the point is that the scavenger is either on your property uninvited or tearing bags open to get at the contents -- or perhaps both.

Some strong individuals might not mind a complete stranger lumbering about the front garden a couple of feet from the sitting room window, but many older people and people at home looking after children, for instance, are likely to be very worried by such a visitation and would have every right to feel intimidated.  Then they would have the additional stress of having to clean up bags that had been dumped to one side, or torn open, both of which are not only unaesthetic and smelly but would attract vermin.

Lydia Rivlin — so nauseated by vote rigging in the wards, venality in the Council, shenanigans in the Planning Department and disorganisation in the Social Services, that I signed up to fight it all by becoming a Conservative candidate in the May elections.  One thing about the Tories—they haven’t been corrupted by power round here.

This all sounds insane.
Will keep a look out

we actuall saw a woman rummaging through the bins of one of the blocks of flats on Cornwall Road a few days ago. This was on a weekend in full daylight. I can only feel blessed that we have a lock-up bin store!

The rummagers prefer daylight so they can see what there is in the bins. They are not embarassed at this activity, probably their way of making some sort of  living. 

Can anyone confirm, is taking rubbish from a bin, if not trespassing on a property, actually breaking any law?

Journalists have been citing 'going through people's rubbish' as a occupational necessity for years after all ... or perhaps that was an insider joke and they were just referring to hacking people's answer machine messages ?

When I spoke to the police they told me what I described (ie someone in my front garden going taking stuff from my bins) was not technically illegal.

I bet it would be if you put a note on the bin saying the contents is private property and taking anything from the bin other than by council refuse department is an act of theft which could lead to prosecution.

I think the grey area in the law is that to steal sowething the 'thief' must think that someone owns it but when it's in a bin it's considered 'disowned'. However a clear declaration of ownership until picked up by the council, would change that, I would have thought.

Any legal eagles here ?

I am not a legal eagle but I believe that if the recyclable material has clearly been abandoned in a public place, or if the scavenger has been authorized by the owner to remove it, then it is lawful. However in South Wales back in 2012 Local Councils and the Police were investigating and the Police said: "Anyone taking rubbish without authorisation is breaking the law." (even if taken from the kerbside) see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16768689

Maybe a legal eagle out there can provide more info, or better still someone from the Council could look into it and tell us what action they intend to take. - One for the next local Forums? or The Green Lanes Strategy Group?

It also clearly poses a risk to identity theft. Whilst this theft of identity is, by itself, not a crime under UK law, misusing the identity information to fraudulently obtain goods or services is.

If the police wont act shred documents in the meantime and if possible don't put recyclable paper out until last minute before collection.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service