Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I got a ticket today for parking in a former disabled space on our road. There are two side by side, one of which still has the bay painted on the road, but the sign on the pavement beside it which used to be there was removed. The person whose space it was no longer lives here, and we residents have been using the space for months.

I have viewed the 'evidence' online, and in addition to photographs of my car there is a photograph of the sign which is clearly for the bay next to the one I parked in, i.e. not outside the house number which the PCN refers to. This feels like a stitch-up to me.

I'm assuming I have a right to appeal as either it is no longer a disabled space or the signage is incorrect. Could anyone advise me on this and how to word the appeal?

Tags for Forum Posts: parking, parking fine, parking ticket

Views: 1074

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well shoot me for making a typo...

He doesn't mention disabled spaces, also he seems to be all about contesting parking tickets when you have actually done something wrong, which I don't believe I have.

Up to you, Maddy. But Derek is helpful and free. And he takes his remit more widely than you suggest.

Hi Maddy,

Sorry to hear about that.  It might support your case if you downloaded pictures from Google Maps (Streetview) which show that the 2nd bay had it's own Disabled Bay sign back in May 2012, but by Aug 2014 it had been removed.  I find myself very tempted to park in the no longer in use bay outside No. 74 too, but that one still seems to have the sign etc.  I will email Haringey and ask what the procedure is for returning a Disabled Bay to normal usage.

I think a certain neighbour (ahem!) is still 'using' that one (albeit not for her own car) - as she is elderly and disabled this seems reasonable if not strictly kosher.

Actually I agree it is reasonable...she does still need the access... but I was SO tempted on Sunday when no other spaces were available...

Hi Antoinette, I hope that you and the KTM are both fine. This thread is meant to be about a PCN rather than me but I can't leave incorrect facts in print.

I did start blogging on 10 March 2011 but did not make 400 FOI requests a year although I did make many. They turned out to be very useful as, for example, my paperwork formed 50% of the Evidence Pack in the parking permit prices hike judicial review which Barnet Council lost & had to return the £100 permits (price raised illegally just to raise revenue) back down to £40 and without FOI we might have lost. It is risible to suggest that Barnet's bloggers are responsible for the current review of FOI as that was a national government decision not a local one.

I have never applied for a dropped kerb and if you were to read my very first blog you'll see that it was the permit price increase, which turned out to be illegal, which set me off blogging. The council have only themselves to blame for letting the genie out of the bottle.

Alan suggested I could help Maddy. I was happy to help, free of any charge, although at 256 completed PCN so far in 2015 I am spending far too long challenging PCNs but it does raise thousands for the North London Hospice. If she prefers not to have my help that is fine by me. She questions my motivation but I find plenty of council's doing more wrong than motorists, as per my recent story in the local paper about Haringey Council scrapping Albert Konadu's car before his Appeal was heard at the adjudication, which he won, and Haringey then not wanting to compensate him.

Good evening Mr D... It has been a while! The KTM is I think 3 bike thefts ago now... I now have a trusty old Honda Dominator as my steed... much more reliable but not as bonkers looks wise.

You know me well enough to know that I believe absolutely in FOI. We always dealt with each other with both respect and some humour, even though I think the volume of your requests was excessive. So you know I mean it when I apologise if I was mistaken over the dropped kerb application. And if I were to mention some of your FOIs which unearthed some genuinely **** practices, they were many more than one. But as I keep getting stamped on for inaccuracies and my memory is far from infallible I won't go into the details. My point, I suppose, is that being under a constant barrage of requests has negative consequences too.

I agree that Maddy's post has been high jacked somewhat. Sorry about that, Maddy. Alan and I have had exchanges over FOI in a variety of forum posts and the 2 over-lapped.

That's fine Antoinette. I absolutely understand things from your side, I did respect your opinion and your workload was reduced accordingly but by then I had already broken the elastic band. I did a deal on numbers with the deputy CEO and then only used 20% of that so all's well that ends well. Maybe if you had been there at the start and we'd been for that bike ride things would have been different. Anyway I'm much more widely spread now with Ealing and Newham feeling the heat and oh, Haringey who have had to self report themselves because of some papers they sent me which weren't mine, oops. A good job that I've been a data controller for ever for my debt collection work.

Sorry to hear your bikes keep getting nicked. Mine are in a locked garage behind a locked steel gate. A dropped kerb would be handy but a piece of 4by2 does the trick and is cheaper.

For people who haven't seen the press report about Mr Albert Konadu's car, it's in the Daily Mirror.  And also the Mail Online.  Oh, yes, and the Evening Standard
Which suggests that one lesson from this story is for local councils to be a little more reasonable and flexible; and to listen just a little bit harder. Which might avoid a bucket load of bad publicity.  Plus a legal claim.

To be fair, in the past, when I was a councillor I took up a few individual cases where it seemed to me there was strong reason to think a resident hadn't been fairly treated. The Haringey Parking Service staff I spoke to or emailed were equitable and balanced in their response - cancelling some PCNs or giving good reasons for their refusal to do so.

P.S. How to avoid getting a PCN (also known as a Parking Ticket.)

Mr Mustard - Derek Dishman - offers a very brief, helpful illustrated New Year's Day Guide. Not for getting you off a PCN but to avoid getting them in the first place.

http://lbbspending.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/new-years-resolutions-you... 

All of which can be condensed into 2 words - park legally!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service