Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've noticed how common this is on Green Lanes. It slows the traffic right down and contributes to congestion and thus the nasty levels of air pollution. It's also unsafe particularly for cyclists who presumably would not expect someone to drive into into their path.
I understand that it is not illegal which is quite bizarre really but wonder if there is any way that it could be stopped. Does anyone know if there are any legal provisions the local authority could use to prevent this on environmental grounds?

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

August 2016 to be precise Gordon. But I saw it all over. Especially in Bow, where I was staying. I thought it was/always has been illegal.

Stephen, I think D.J. Enright caught something of this Berliner efficiency some time ago in his poem, 'No Offence'.  www.duermueller.tripod.com/enright.html  

Sorry Steve, link failed - but am sure you know of the poem anyway.  

I especially liked this:

In no country
Are the public lavatories more immaculately kept.
As neat as new pins, smelling of pine forests.
With a roar like distant Wagner
Your sins are washed away.

It is all slightly dated now, as the country in question has become more liberal, in fact, most likely the most liberal in Europe at the current time, and therefore less predictable.

Here is the updated link: http://duermueller.tripod.com/enright.html

Agreed, it would be pretty easy to ban U-turns on Green Lanes (and could raise a bit more revenue too with a few cameras).

I completely agree. There never used to be parking on green lanes as there were red routes in place to speed up bus travel. Cars could park on meters in the small roads linking the gardens as these are always empty. I don't know why the Council extended the parking in Green Lanes , completely blocking traffic in some places, near the bridge as there isn't enough room for cars and busses to get through some times, let alone bikes. Was probably just to raise income rather than caring for cyclists, the environment and air quality.

It would have been because of political lobbying by the businesses. A shame the residents find it too dirty to get involved in.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service