Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10803

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Apologies - your reply above was in response to my comment which I had intended to edit but deleted instead.

I asked how Eastbound traffic from a ladder rung would head Southbound, if they cannot turn right.

It would actually be left, left, left, left again (Endymion road) then right (Green Lanes).

I don't mean to criticise all your suggestions, but any solution with massive drawbacks seems unlikely to be implemented.

True there are three lefts then either right or left onto Endymion depending on precisely which direction south you're going.

Rung residents are already accustomed to making a few left or right turns on at least one leg of their journey, I don't see this as a "massive drawback" especially in return for massive improvement to quality of life by reducing the Ladder's usefulness for ratrunners.

Making the ladder roads no through roads might make sense by that logic, but closing a B road makes no sense. Would you support the closure of st. Ann's road?

Closing a B road makes sense if it is carrying far more traffic than it is able to. Wightman carries more traffic than the western end of St Anns even though Wightman is a far narrower road. St Anns is much wider, with houses generally set back from the road with a bit of front garden. Wightman houses are generally right on the pavement itself and the pavement itself has pavement parking because that it the only way the road can support two-way traffic. The narrow pavements thus create serious access issues for wheelchairs and buggies and even parents trying to hold their child's hand.

If St Anns had these or similar problems then yes I would support closure or other traffic reduction measures.

What makes sense is reducing the traffic to an appropriate level not closing it altogether.

Technically it's not actually closed at the moment, it would just take a lot of detours if you wanted to drive a car along the full length.

Of course its not closed to pedestrians or cyclists either.

There are other solutions. Another one I just thought of, is we could cover the area with green Post-its:

It's a fitting colour for the Green Lanes area and a relaxing colour too. The main disadvantage I see is that we'd need a lot of actual Post-its to prevent through traffic.

Look at the picture at the top of the thread....
A narrow interpretation Antoinette, the solution is not reductive.

Apparently they don't make a sign big enough to say "Permeable Filtering".

Looking at the study map, it seems most, if not all, of the solutions that you proposed have been mercilessly voted down. There are also numerous comments from ladder residents who are suffering the effects of the current closure, and who wish to see the road reopened.

I didn't see see that nick. There was one comment on reoprening the road, in my opinion comments were largely trying to see the bigger picture rather than playing to partisan self interest.

"I live on Beresford rd. the current situation of complete closure of Whitman road is a nightmare. I have a disabled mother in law and two young children I cannot cycle everywhere and my mother in law is completely wheelchair bound so public transport is a no go. What previously was a 10 minute drive  now takes 30-40 minutes. The hospice which took her to weekly activities has refused to puck her up due the hours spent on traffic."

"I completely agree, I have lived on sydney rd for over ten years and the lack of traffic is quite nice, but the pay off for the amount of time and inconvenience to daily family life the road closures have caused is unbearable. I have to use my car for work, so please don"t say walk and the bus takes just as long, Ive tried it. A five minute journey now takes at least 30-40 mins. I have to pick up my daughter from school drop her to crouch end then go back through the traffic hopefully in time to.."

"Agree with some of the comment re equality assessment. The current situation for the disabled reliant on cars is a nightmare for oval residents. Why penalise us when the traffic is mainly out if area. 10 minute journeys have become in excess of hours! Makes me want to cry and leave the area completely!"

"The closure is a disaster. Traffic backs up to the YMCA crouch end and takes me up to 15 minutes just to get out of Sydney rd onto Wiloughby Rd/Turnpike Lane, and Sundays is even worse because of people parking both. sides of Wiloughby rd. Some traffic calming would be great but with a closure like this the traffic is horendous"

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service