Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10796

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even Clarkson would advocate that it is how you drive your Maserati, presumably it has an eco mode on the engine settings, (for urban driving, where only so many cylinders are required,) predominately it is a touring vehicle but Turino is still very urban.

Me too!

I would donate too.

I don't see any place for nimbyism to the detriment of other local residents.

Besides, until the road is reopened, we don't know what the traffic will be like. A lot changes in six months, and many less may well be commuting through wightman road.

As a matter of curiosity, what level of traffic would whightman road residents consider acceptable?

"what level of traffic would whightman road residents consider acceptable?"

I think this is easy to answer, some would be happy to go back to how it was before the gardens were gated, a hard core might want to go back to the level it was before all the other local road closures happened and an even harder core might want to go back to how it was before Hermitage Rd was closed off.

In my opinion it is not a simple case of what Wightman Road residents would consider acceptable it is wholly about what is not acceptable – 120,000 vehicles is absolutely without a shadow of a doubt not acceptable! Wightman Road is the key to solving the traffic issues on all the other roads. I am sure the traffic survey will bear that out and then the consultants and the council will have to come up with a strategy to solve the issue locally and reduce the level of traffic as a whole. That may mean a system similar to that already in place on Wightman Road together with putting in measures to reduce the stress on other nearby roads. Nobody wants 120,000 vehicles passing their home every week, why should Wightman Road residents? I have said it before, this needs the council to be bold and ambitious and it needs conversations with local residents and most importantly it needs strong local councillors who really want to drive this forward. A viable workable solution benefits all Ladder residents not just Wightman. There has to be a way to make this work so nobody is as terribly disadvantaged as Wightman Road residents were prior to the bridge repair works.

Many people live on Green Lanes, which has more traffic than Wightman. By your logic, should Green Lanes also be closed?

A similar argument could apply to St Anns Road, Endymion Road, Black Boy Lane etc.

In one of the recent meetings the consultants divided the roads between those that had more or less than 10,000 vehicles a week. I can't remember their exact words but the sense was that 10,000 a week might be considered the maximum number.

The number of vehicles isn't the only criteria however. Type of vehicle, driving style and road construction also contribute significantly to noise. Heavy vehicles disturb more than cars. Rat running traffic tends to be faster and more aggressive, so noisier and more stressful for residents. Narrow roads with two or more stories on either side create more reverberation and echo. Speed bumps cause noise from acceleration and deceleration as well as vibration. Poor road surfaces create more tyre noise and vibration. So on and so forth. 

So long as we vacilitate the vehicle journeys, is the NHS coping with the strain of respiratory complications across Haringey, we will pay for it down the line.
It's not only Wightman Rd that is affected, homes at the top of each road pay the same price with their health and more so at the Green Lanes end.

We are all sensitive to Wightman Rd's situation, I wouldn't reduce the DNA of thought, as change will be reliant on the support and cooperation of other roads on the Ladder.

As far as I can make out, reading the threads over the years, most would like to go back to the situation in 1903, when peace was disturbed only by the odd horse-drawn milk float and children played with hoops in the middle of the road

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3t5nmgRVMs
Our milk float is electric...no clip clop
If Wightman was to be as other Ladder roads, it could be a reduction down to 14,000 cars per week, if it was one way.

The one way road system on the Ladder generates car journeys, Alison on to Hewitt and so on, the one way system turns some residential roads into conduits for East/ West traffic flow.

Did we have less traffic when Ladder a Roads were two way, Crouch End cope, it is possible to take some parking spaces out create slip ways to allow this.

The one way system was hoisted on to the Ladder, increasing flow and here we are now.

The no right hand turn at Manor House pushes traffic traveling north, down Green Lanes and St Ann's Rd.

How many journeys are commercial vehicles on Wightman, do we know the purpose of any of the 120,000 vehicles each week, is this data available? we only have basic figures.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service