Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not as much as Wood Green, Wood Green was supposed to have the second busiest high street after Oxford Street according to the police a few years back.

a) I don't believe everything I read on Tripadvisor

b) quality vs quantity FPR

I certainly take the reviews with a pinch of salt but I doubt that someone would mention a Green Lanes restaurant unless they'd been. Hardly the stuff you post to impress your mates!
If you look at Melbourne Turkish is pretty hip, check out GL's young Turks.

Trip Advisor has had some fake reviews though.

Not that I'm saying GL has had any; it is quite rightly a draw for many people. The first time I ate Turkish food was at Efes in central London many moons ago!

Interesting, I wish they would prioritise the replanting of the trees that have been mowed down on Alexandra Rd near Boots, it looks second rate with the planting filled in with bitumen, which should go in the pot holes I discovered by drain hole covers on the high street, dangerous for cyclists.
Outer London Funding, or has that gone with Borris? High Streets were the focus, but traffic interventions should be made a clear objective, together with peak our congestion charging to part pay or fully fund the initiative.

Absolutely Peter

Euston Rd was designed to bypass avoiding Oxford Street, historically blocked by traders loading. Wigmore Street is a service Rd with faster movement, it now has its own identity. Residential on Oxford Street isn't great in numbers, more commercial retail and the odd Hotel. My Great Gran worked for a family at No1 Marble Arch, I think that is now an Odeon.

Lager residential density is provided by the Georgian Squares, and Estates that exist behind busy Oxford Street, such as Portland Square, Grovenor Square, the Howard De Walden Estate, Soho, even Fitzrovia are some residential areas, combining mixed use and retail.

Wightman Rd became a service road when the Victorian terrace layout of the Ladder, transformed it to allow transport access up and down the Ladder, for delivery, not a major transport conduit.

We should also look at the historic morphology of the road to highlight how the road has gone from a quiet road to a traffic toilet. The Turnpike Lane junction shows the intention to move as many vehicles as possible through this road.

Network Rail have been very concerned about the Wightman Rd bridge renewal, but not the improvement of Harringay Station footbridge, or station improvements at Hornsey or Harringay, not fit for purpose, but should be ready to accommodate the growing potential for larger Overland capacity, relieving the Tube & exploiting our close proximity to Kings Cross & Europe stations.

Network rail have shrugged off the cost of accessible transport at Hornsey, Volker Fitzpatrick looked at it, but Network Rail weren't interested, interesting.

Lynne Featherston claimed a victory at Ali Pali, with lifts at the station, but haven't materialised over the two years since. It's not just disabled access, it's access for all, the elderly, young families, everyone should benefit from such overdue improvements, these stations should be gateways to our area, gateways of civic pride. Instead we have a bridge capable of shifting eighteen wheeler lorries, even though the roads aren't built to accommodate them.
Do we know how much the bridge cost?
The Wightman Road bridge? £2.5m ..assuming it comes in on budget
We need to come up with a feasible solution for Haringey Council to adopt, we can look at what already exists across the borough for instance and site that, which seems reasonable. Post case studies and upload here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service