Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I'm sure that many of us don't know that people in Winchester were sending postcards of our very own Grand Parade to the Isle of White over 100 years ago....! Here's the visulal evidence. Seriously though, here's a scan of a wonderful original postcard of Grand Parade that was posted in1912. I bought the card at an Ali Pali antique fair about 20 years ago and today thought it was about time I shared it.

Views: 828

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The 10th April 1912 is of course the day the Titanic departed Southampton on it's fateful voyage.

"Much nicer back then."

You mean, apart from the racism, sexism, jingoism and rickets?

"you're that keen to find offence, Lydia"

Oh for goodness' sake, Osbawn.  Stop being so ridiculous.  As a matter of fact, the smoke belching out of household chimneys made any metropolitan area far more polluted then than now.  The air was filthy with soot and we see so many lime trees in this area because they were the only type of tree that could survive the atmospheric conditions -- which of course included the occasional episode of lethal fog.  The streets themselves stank from horse-poo and sewage, as well as other objectional odours from tanneries and various industries uncontrolled by any considerations of public health. 

Adults regularly beat children in public as well as private because that was considered acceptable behaviour.  Men beat their wives (ditto) with no legal restriction. Teachers caned pupils.  Household toilets were frequently outhouses in the garden and most dwellings did not have much internal plumbing beyond a tap in the washhouse outside the kitchen.  Medical care was based more on superstition than science.  Most people did not have the vote.  Most workers had to walk miles in all weathers to their places of work. 

The photograph is interesting and I like to see such things, they have charm but I certainly don't feel that the long-gone lives they depict were in any way nicer than those around us today. 

I believe I am allowed that opinion.

Quite a lot of all four around nowadays too.

Couldn't get the perspective quite right as I was a bit worried that I would be flattened by a bus.

Thanks Maggie, I'd wondered which stretch this was and now it's clear!

I think you've done a pretty damn fine job, Maggie. You'd need to play around with focal lengths, camera height and pitch for quite a while to get it spot on.

I also need to be a pace further into the traffic and to grow a foot taller!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service