Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Whether you're eating in the restaurant or taking something back home, believe it or not for just £6.99, you can eat all this....and then carry on and eat more!

OK is just near the bottom of my road, almost opposite The Salisbury. So I walk by regularly. Over the six months or so since it opened business seems to have built steadily. So my curiosity piqued, recently I've been in and tried the food a couple times. The main draw at lunch time seems to be the regularly changing all you can eat buffet. For just £6.99*  you can have a tasty and healthy meal. With no limits on how much you can eat, that seems like pretty decent value to me. 

Some HoLsters have been adding their penneth-worth too. Descrbing the daily changing buffet, Sally wrote, "There are three lines of delicious buffet food offered including chicken and lamb, rice and pasta and lots of vegetables, including a better choice of meze than is usually available on Green Lanes. Anna said simply, "The food is fantastic".

The restaurant is run by Hakkan (right) and Ibrahim (left). Certainly worth a try.

If you fancy something other than a buffet, Ibrahim will be happy to griddle a steak for you.

*Price corrected 30th Sept

Views: 6374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aris K explains it well. My 60-70% comes from industry typical figures sourced from a couple of places on the web, it matches Aris's number.

She/he (sorry)  is rightly point out that the margin may be different for OK, because of the lack of waiting staff (ratio tends to 1:3 food, 1:3 staff, 1:3 overheads like rent + profits) and of course not being meat only. That could make a big difference in the budget for the ingredients.

You can play with the numbers through this calculator provided by Brakes (a food supplier).

http://www.brake.co.uk/your-business/gross-profit-calculator/

Ok since I have worked on restaurants a couple of years here is how the thing works.The rule is that you multiply by three the cost of your ingredients in order to have a profit. This means that if you pay 2 pounds you charge 6

Now the difference here is that this is a buffet, and the 3-4 times that I have visited this establishment they had no waiters/servers/whatever you want to call them so here is an expense less.The two owners run the front of the business both preparing the food and making orders.

Also on the buffet you get two dishes (one for salad and one for your "main" food) so there are less things to clean afterwards.

Also do not be mistaken, they have a variety of foods but many of them contain no meat so the ingredients are much cheaper. And for most part the meat is chicken - From Sainsbury's the price is 5£/kg which should be much much lower for professionals on bulk orders.  Not a big fan of lamb here so I can't make comparisons :)

Finally if you want to order an actual dish from the menu the prices vary from 10 up to 18 (I think) and the quality is really good.

Hypothetical scenario: They get 80 customers per day and the profit for the buffet is 2£/person. This adds up to 160£ per day. If half of them get something to drink I think it is reasonable to add another 2£/head profit adding up to 360£ . Add a few teas as well and you get 400£ or 200£ for each owner. Without counting the customers that order from the menu.

Again the above is purely hypothetical and I have no affiliation with the business so I do not know how they actually calculate their profits :)

PS:God this is a long post!

Thanks Aris - useful words.

At the end of the day even if the only reason behind the buffet was to attract attention then I guess mission accomplished. We are discussing this for two weeks now.

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks Aris.

Thanks Aris - good post.

:-)
Yes thank you for this Aris, really interesting and informative.
I love lamb neck and chicken wings! What were the salds, breads and mezes like?

Comments were removed from this thread that broke house rules. Other comments that were responses to those were deleted along with them, not because they necessarily broke the rules, but because the absence of context makes them difficult to interpret. Some of the comments that remain above have been left intact not because we condone them in any way, but because they are not in clear breach of house rules.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service