Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi

Is anyone having difficulties with parking permit application?

First it does not recognise me as a resident, but that is ok, I can submit evidence. 

But then, after putting in car details, when I go to next step, it comes up with server error.

This has happened repeatedly, and I only have a few days till it runs out.  Should have applied sooner but it has been a busy month.

Thanks

Richard

Tags for Forum Posts: online parking permits, parking, parking permits, virtual parking permits, visitor parking permits

Views: 2976

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Funnily enough , the reply I’ve received from Haringey Customer Services seems to be answering a query I don’t think I asked. But I think it might be helpful to the person trying to get a temp permit. Maybe they got us mixed up!

Dear Richard A O'Connell,

Thank you for contacting Haringey Council and please accept our apology for the delay in responding to you. 

To create a resident parking permit, please scroll down to Resident Permit in the list of permit types.

With our online permits there is no need to apply for a temporary permit, as you will be covered immediately, and your permit status will show as pending until a copy of the V5C (logbook) is provided.

Once your V5C is received just upload a copy to your account and we will then amend your permit status to active.

Thanks Richard, I did get this exact same reply so maybe they did mix us up!

I have replied to that email asking if 'pending' means I can park in my CPZ without being fined, if it does then that is my problem solved. 

If not I will follow Alan's advice and write to my councillors and the council.

They seem to have sorted the glitches. I've just renewed my permit and all was straightforward and worked well. 

I was "lucky" enough to experience the problem back in August and to have the time to go to Wood Green library (Haringey Council Headquarters) and in August they had reserved 6 computers and 3 or 4 members of staff to "help" residents apply for various parking permits.
I then contacted our local councillors, Luke Cawley-Harrison where I live, and never got a straight answer.

I then found out later that they were refusing to receive residents in their offices, telling them instead to "apply online".. My reading is that they are adding insult to injury and more importantly it is a very cynical ploy to make money out of fines that they are issuing to residents who could not apply online.. saying that you could later object ot the fine..

If you wanted to start a petition on this, I would be willing to help and we could advertise it in various places. It is scandalous.

hey Bruce, I have just emailed Cllrs Luke Cawley-Harrison and Liz Morris:

Dear Luke and Liz,
I contacted you two months ago about the new Residents Parking online software that was full of bugs and resulting in people being fined by the Parking Enforcement people as they could not apply online.
One of you said that this would be discussed in the next Council meeting. However we never got any feedback.
After about 3 months that this new software had been implemented without proper testing, it seems that the problems are still there. This is an update from a Resident on Haringay Online forum:

I’m having terrible trouble with Haringey’s new IT system and parking. It seems to be the most incredibly incompetent and malevolent bit of technology ever devised. It does not work! I haven’t been able to find any group campaigning to rectify this. Millions of taxpayer pounds will have been spent on it. Is there not a groundswell of public rage over it? There ought to be!
At the time Luke, you helped one of our Residents by "making a quick phone call to the relevant person" and sorted her out. Which is great and good to know that other residents could count on you too.
However it is not a long term solution. Can you please let me know if:
  1. Residents can still turn up to the Council Offices to apply in person if the system still does not work?
  2. If not, what are they supposed to do? Contact you or their Local Councillor everytime they have a visitor and need a visitor's permit??
My email and your responses will be copied to the group and to Harringay Online.

Thank you in advance.
Joelle Liblinc 

My problems have been in buying visitors' permits, but the whole system is hopeless (addresses aren't stored, rapid address look-up doesn't work, there's a tiny limit on the number of vouchers you can buy at one time, etc).

Yesterday, unable to buy online, I phoned the Council. After the usual frustrating 25-minute wait I finally reached a very helpful person, who acknowledged the problems and told me I should buy just 2 visitors' permits instead of the 9 I wanted, because the system couldn't cope with more (9 is supposedly the maximum allowed in one transaction, but then only of one type, such as hourly or daily, never both together....). This actually worked, but of course it meant making four more transactions to get the number I wanted (to have stock for occasional visitors, workpeople, etc), which is time-consuming and inefficient.

I think there was a suggestion earlier in this thread that the only way to get action may be to complain to Haringey's Chief Executive, Zina Etheridge. I agree that two months after the system was set up, and who knows how many complaints later, it's ridiculous that it still doesn't work. 

I bought a new car two weeks ago and followed the instructions to have the remainder of my old paper permit time transferred to my new car, which basically involves using the "contact us" form to send them proof of ownership for the new car. I haven't yet received any response at all, not even an automated acknowledgement of the query, so like many others in this thread I'm now paying for daily permits on the days I'm at home, having already paid for the permit for my old car. Has anyone else had this situation (i.e. with a paper permit) and do they have any tips on how to deal with it?

I resolved this, in the end. They got back to me nearly three weeks after I first contacted them to tell me that no, you don't get a revised paper permit (like it clearly states on their website) if you change cars, you have to just buy a new virtual one and then claim a refund on the remainder of the paper one for the old car. If their website had been correct, I could have got the new permit immediately and not spent more than a few quid on daily permits in the meantime. A cynical person might think they'd done that deliberately.

Incidentally, to those having difficulty because they don't have their V5C through yet - I don't, I uploaded a copy of my bill of sale where it said I had to have the V5C and it all went through fine. Again, a cynical person might think I could have uploaded a picture of my cat and it would have gone through as long as I paid them...

Bethany, Like many other comments on this thread, your example is one of a useful selection of people's experiences of the problem. So far there appears to be nothing to say that senior Haringey staff are or are not reading-learning-fixing stuff using this range of examples. Let alone asking their front-line colleagues who take the phonecalls.

hi alan. private messaged you

are you there ?

It appears this has gone on long enough! Emailing the Chief Executive is not an overreaction. The sums involved may not be huge. But the fundamental principle is. These services exist to serve residents

It now appears likely there is a systemic problem. It's very unlikely there are simply a few glitches.

There is a fantasy that going "digital" solves all problems and saves shed loads of money. This works only up to the point that the systems function smoothly. Then there's an extra cost  which many years ago a consultant named John Seddon called the costs of dealing with "Failure Demand".  There are also the hidden costs of time wasted by staff and residents in sorting out these problems. Added to the real and obvious costs to residents.

Seddon also made a lot of sensible points about when IT worked and when it does not.

From the comments reported on HoL it appears likely that staff down the "bottom" of the chain of command know the problems and try to be helpful. But their remit does not apparently extend to fixing the problems.

Do the generals back at the chateau know? And in this case I mean staff getting peak salaries. Councillors matter but they are what I call a "soft door" when the hard doors of the Council's systems fail to open and work smoothly.

If the Chief Executive doesn't know about these problems she is welcome to read this website thread and brief herself in a few minutes. Maybe give her a link. Then she can decide what to do, and how to apologise and compensate residents. Parking fines - which is what they are - constitute a nice little - no actually BIG - earner for Councils facing potential cuts and a need to increase Council Tax.
(Although in Haringey's case the Parking Account profits may not back-fill the huge losses on deeply dubious decisions with property transactions.)

So, yes, Please do email the Chief Executive. I suggest politely requesting a personal acknowledgement and response. Polite is good. But keep copies, Some naming and shaming might not be necessary, but you never know.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service