Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

HARRINGAY residents and transient motorists might like to view this sub-five-minute video shot this afternoon.

It's a time-lapse over 60 minutes (link below).

It features the foot of Hewitt Road from where motorists exit, but are not permitted to turn right.

Further along the street, a different camera – a Council-controlled camera – keeps an eagle eye out for unsuspecting motorists. It records the action more regularly and more determinedly than the footage you're about to see.

Watching the video:

• Keep your eyes on the lower right of the frame: each time a vehicle turns right into Green Lanes, the figure of £180* is displayed. [*in the first of the three videos below, that should have been rendered as £130 and mentioned £65 if advantage were taken of the quick-payment deal]
  • If you watch through to the end, a summary of the hour's activities and that hour's takings is displayed.
  • Finally, there's a Star-Wars-like listing of the locations in Haringey where such cameras are located. Enjoy.

Enjoy ?!

Thanks for the HD video and editing go to Paul Stork

New link to Video (on Vimeo)

Councillor

Highgate Ward

Liberal Democrat Party

Tags for Forum Posts: 60-mins, FPN, Fixed-Penalty-Notice, Hewitt, No-right-turn, Road, time-lapse, £130, £180, £65

Views: 3605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can ask just one question Clive. Why on earth are you fronting what amounts to a campaign in a ward 4kms from the ward you represent and has no impact whatsoever on your own constituents? Would you not think it a bit strange if Emina, James or Gina did something similar in your ward?

Morning Michael: I walk along Green Lanes many times a week which partly accounts for my interest in the bicycle stand fiasco (more on that later). I also happen to know the junction of Green Lanes with St Anns and Hewitt Roads particularly well, as you might guess.

Councillors are not simply or exclusively councillors for their own ward (where they may not necessarily live), but are Members of the Council with Borough-wide responsibilities. By way of illustration, as one of the directors of Homes for Haringey Ltd., in a small way, I am indirectly responsible for 21,000 dwellings throughout our Borough.

Of course elected members have a responsibility to the borough as a whole but this is a local issue solely within the boundaries of a ward where as an elected representative, you have no responsibilities. What is it you actually hope to achieve?

this is a local issue solely within the boundaries of a ward

I think we're going to have to disagree about that Michael, for the following reasons (for this purpose, I also include the matter of the Council's bicycle stand fiasco, to which I will return):

Green Lanes:

• abuts two Wards (i.e. a common boundary)
  • is used by and is passed through by more people than reside locally
  • is a TfL road, a red route, a major arterial road. We're not talking about a quiet suburban street, with solely local residents affected
  • the cameras are a Borough-wide phenomenon and the (now two) cameras trained on Hewitt Road can be thought of as representative.

In respect of the cameras, I hope to achieve some discussion and awareness of the level of fines raised and possibly the increased dependence on this source of revenue over the Borough.

There's another aspect:

I think that we both agree that motorists should not and must not turn right. But they continue to do so in droves: on the basis of the videos above, dozens a day. The measures are failing.

If the Council were to view this intersection more intelligently, we would have a different approach. We are led to believe (by # of Fixed Penalty Notices issued) that the Council is raising a phenomenal amount of cash from this corner.

This suggests the need for a review of what is going wrong.

Instead, we see a second camera added: this looks to be less about traffic engineering and more about exploiting the situation.

Two things spring to mind.
If you think that the local authority is in someway acting unlawfully, unethically or unfairly you, as an elected representative, have access to bodies and mechanisms where you can have this scrutinised.
If my ward councillors, Emina, James and Gina, campaigned on an issue of concern by opposing what a number of people who actually live in your ward seem to think is a good thing (this is purely from looking at the contents of this thread) that would be perfectly OK by you?

By the way, there are still a number of questions people have raised on this thread that you have not answered.

Regards

If you think that the local authority is in someway acting unlawfully, unethically or unfairly you, as an elected representative, have access to bodies and mechanisms where you can have this scrutinised.

Cheers Michael, many thanks for the tip!

My pleasure. Please let us know what happens so that if they plan to remove the cameras or reduce the fines we can start of a local campaign to have them reinstated.
Green Lanes is not a Red Route. This, as far as I can work out, is because of lobbying by some group in Harringay. It is the only major arterial route out of London that is not a red route. I'm not quite sure but I think this is a good thing, as long as we keep the bus lane.
That reminds me, does anyone know if motorcyclists are given tickets for using the bus lane?

John, this new clip was shot yesterday (Friday) between 17:00 and 18:00. Nine vehicles turned right. There was a cyclist, whose number plate probably didn't show up too well.

Like other sequences, this 60-minute period may or may not be representative of the overall monies raised on the corner. We may get a better idea of the overall if we can find out over what period the 7,081 ( ! ? ) PCNs were issued.

I understand that the current (no-right-turn) arrangement is experimental, with a final decision to be made at the end of the year. If it's decided to make it permanent, it might be desirable to have a low physical barrier to direct vehicles left (as at the bottom of Lothair (ladder) Road to the south. Perhaps better than a clutter of signage?

It might have been more efficient to have given thought to that at the planning stage of the Green Lanes refurbishment, before the granite corners went in.

Michael:

Without confessing my particular allegiance, sadly we no longer have LibDem councillors in Harringay ward.

Rather than have all discussion about Harringay issues being undertaken solely by the Labour incumbents, I think Clive's input is valuable and I'm grateful to him for taking an interest outside his own area.

More generally, I'm a resident of  Harringay but would have no qualms about voicing my opinion on The Tottenham Gyratory or the Gaudi - influenced frontage of Art For Art's sake in Muswell Hill.

John, re gyratories: you've just jogged my memory: I'd welcome interest in the Wellington Gyratory at the northern end of Archway Road. Again, this forms part of a super-major arterial road (the A1, no less) and there are a number of issues surrounding that, from traffic calming, to gateway-to-Highgate, to bus route re-location. I don't expect interest from outside the Ward, but because many people will know this island-with-the-petrol-station, it serves to illustrate that roads are used by more than just locals.

I was a great fan of both Karen and David and sad to see them go. Whatever my political views, a good councillor is a good councillor whatever colour their rosette. I too post opinions about things outside of the ward but I do that as a private individual. This post is by an elected representative of the Highgate ward (Clive's initial post carries that strap line). I think that this is more than opinion posting, it is a campaign, which is why I question why Clive has chosen this ward to focus on.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service