Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oh Joy! Poundland moving in to former Peacocks store in the Arena

Poundland today announced that it will be taking over eight ex-Peacocks stores 

The stores include the former Peacocks premises in Harringay Arena and will open on Thursday 5 April.

In a sign 'o' the times comment, Poundland’s CEO, Jim McCarthy, said:

Poundland has grown significantly over the past 12 months and we will continue to open new stores.

Views: 3430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't understand a word of that!

Not the best retail planning decision - surely it will affect the profits of Superdrug?....and then another closure

I'm sure you already know Liz but a friend took my to Wilkinson's in Wood Green just before Christmas and they have some great craft things for children mostly for £1 or less. Plus I found the old fashioned white paper garlands and huge paper ball decorations I wanted and could only find on really expensive websites.

I agree- Wilkinsons actually has a lot of good stuff -- as well as a bunch of junk. Also, there's a load of craft stuff for sale in the the new Tiger in the Mall too.

fantastic, a poundland that i can spend large amounts of pound coins on , rather than spending loads of proper money on rubbish i never use from other shops

happy  local

And there I was hoping there would be a nice boutique rather than the usual tat you find in the area - wishful thinking I know!

I was delighted earlier today to make my first visit to Poundland (Arena Shopping Centre).

What an impressive store: big neat and clean with a vast array of inexpensive items.

I've bought some vacuum clothes storage bags recommended by a friend and I'll be back for more. This store won't be of interest to snobs and council officers on six-figure salaries, but its a real asset for the rest of us. Oh joy indeed!

Did you know that poundland employs staff on the 'work for welfare' program ? These are the same as those made to sleep under a bridge and change into uniform in full public view next morning before being 'employed' as stewards during the queens jubilee celebrations. They had to do this otherwise their dole money and housing benefit would be cut. I WILL NOT be shopping at poundland as long as they 'use' staff without pay to boost their profits. Other companies have withdrawn from the program after public outrage threatened their profits.

Let's not shop at poundland.

Other companies have withdrawn from the program

James a number of formerly participating retailers withdrew from that scheme early this year. While I'm not certain that Poundland was one of them (they did withdraw from it or a similar scheme), they surely wouldn't want to have a reputation as a bad employer any more than any other company would?

There seems to be lots of jobs going in the company; some of them probably pay wages.

There was a case of Kate Riley who may have been working for nothing, but that was probably an isolated case: is it fair to boycott the shop forever, for what may be an unrepresentative incident in the past?

BTW, reading glasses are a pound a pop and a great range too!

Clive. I take your point that they may have withdrawn from the scheme and it may have been a 'mistake'. But you have to admit that without boycotting business' they would carry on regardless. Also for your information - the cost of manufacturing spectacles are almost the same cost as producing toothbrushes. Does that put it into context ?

you have to admit that without boycotting business' they would carry on regardless

I think the business would carry on regardless. First, because the total boycott that you call for would be unlikely to last indefinitely and second because not everyone is in the comfortable position of being able to afford to eschew stores at the less expensive end of the market.

On the whole, wherever you shop, you are contributing to someone's profits. But the key point is, in some places more than others.

I'm prepared to believe you about the cost of reading glasses, but surely we are more concerned with retail prices and comparing offerings from different retailers.

A certain large store near Poundland would charge orders of magnitude more for a similar pair of glasses - and for a smaller range.

With the bigger chain, you're probably paying more for packaging, advertising and overheads like the customer loyalty card racket: I wish these outfits would just reduce their prices, but they won't because the value of the information they collect (use and sell on) is so lucrative.

I'll consider a boycott of Poundland if they introduce the same wretched monitoring devices!

Clive. Obviously not every single last person in the universe would boycott for the rest of their lives. That's silly. I remember boycotting barclays bank during the South African apartheid era and that did the job not only for stopping barclays investing our savings in the rascist regime but also soon(ish) afterwards the fall of the regime. I also remember soon(ish) after apartheids fall being very confused when buying south african wine to support mandelas new 'rainbow nation' but france was indulging in nuclear testing in the pacific islands so i did not buy french wine. Boycotting has a proven track record. If business wants our money they have to behave. It's not all about getting a 'bargain' at the expense of the vulnerable is it ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service